PDA

View Full Version : Memorability plates?

samuel-t
29th November 2002, 00:48
Hope I'm not insulting anyone with this (don't know how sensitive it is).

I've forgotten the japanese word for these, but I mean those plates with your ancestors' names that you keep in a shrine. Does anyone know if it is possible to order them anywhere -- I'm not living in Japan -- with the names of ancestors inscribed on them? Or should I go ahead and make them myself?

My reason for asking is that I think that they are a brilliant way of keeping the memory of your ancestors alive (in case anyone wonders "why in the world would he want one of these?")

/Samuel

Moriki
1st December 2002, 15:44
Do you mean O-Fuda?
When you visit a shrine in Japan there is usually a building called the Juyosho where you can get an amulet on which the name of the enshrined deity is written.
0-Mamori is the small personal amulet to be worn by yourself and 0-Fuda is a larger amulet to be placed on an alter at home.

yours
Brian Carpenter
Dojo Cho
GWNBF/KJJR UK KOMORI DOJO
WORLD MATE MEMBER
ISF MEMBER

samuel-t
2nd December 2002, 01:01
Yes, thank you. :)

I am quite sure that O-Fuda is the name that I am after. And from your answer, I guess that I would have to go to a shrine in Japan to get O-Fuda...

Hmmm... I plan on going to Japan eventually, but at my current income it'll take me a couple of years to save up for the trip and the staying...

Thank you very much for your answer. :smilejapa

/Samuel