PDA

View Full Version : A video if interested

hakuda
29th November 2002, 04:36
To those of you that practice iai, I have a video that is 8mm to vhs. It is of Hasegawa Eishin Ryu. I believe it shows the majority of the katas with some details on various points of note. The gentleman in the video is Japanese however I am uncertain of his name. The film is from the 60's. Following the older film is a more recent film of the same katas done in about the 80's. I am unsure of the country these were filmed in. If anyone is interested let me know your address via e-mail (mine is on my profile). I will do my best to get a copy to you free of charge (depending on where you are). Both segments are about an hour or so combined. The older film is a bit scratchy but to those of you that practice iai, as you know the first 12 are basically the same pattern with only slight variation from style to style, you should readily recognize the kata being demonstrated.

Woodz
2nd December 2002, 16:53
Do you practice Eishin Ryu? Where in NC do you live? I live in Greenville, NC and would like to get some sort of school or study group started here.

Thanks,

Steven Wood

Paulo K. Ogino
4th December 2002, 02:53
Take a look to the videos on this web page:

http://www.shobi-u.ac.jp/~tnagae/iai/iai.html

It has the three levels of the muso shinden ryu, but some how some movements looks a lot like seitei iai, I've seen many kendo dojos teaching the MSR school.

Still waiting for an answer about the videos... :D

Regards,

stevemcgee99
4th December 2002, 04:16
...The videos Mr. Ogino mentions. They seem different than what I've been taught in a couple ways, I mostly remember how suprised I was watching ryuto/ #6 from shoden. Looks jumpy and the cut is different, chiburi and noto so much faster, too. How much difference should i expect to see from student (read: teacher) to student?

I'm waiting for a response to the first post as well. Any news?

Paulo K. Ogino
4th December 2002, 14:32
The way I'ven taught in omory ryu is quite different form the videos in the link. In Shohato, when doing nukitsuke and kiritsuke I slap firmly in the floor with my right foot. In the video, look a lot like seitei iai. The same happens with ryuto, I perform it in a very different way (more combative or real life way I guess). Since the performer in the videos is also a kendoka, I guess kendo schools teach MSR in a different way. By the way, I've learned Iaido from the lineage taken by Malcom Tiki Shewan, from the European Iaido Federation (www.fei-iai.ch).

Ric Flinn
5th December 2002, 03:03
As an MSR student, if there's one thing I've learned, its that MSR can differ greatly from place to place. Even in things I consider to be fundamental. I don't think there's substance to kendo dojo teaching MSR differently (at least there shouldn't be). There's no one headmaster for MSR as a whole, but there's many different branches (ha) of the ryu with a traceable lineage, and one ha might look a good deal different from the other.

I've trained with a few different clubs and teachers, and when I train with them I do it the way they do it. The style I do looks a bit different than these videos, but we don't stop our feet either. To me, the Shoden kata in these videos looks like they're being done by a guy who's used to doing chuden and okuden kata, which they are. The timing is a bit faster than I think they should be. Now, Nagae sensei was an 8th dan, according to the text, so if he wants to break out of the strict timings of the shoden kata, that's up to him. He had obviously done them enough that he could take them where he pleased.

Sure looks like he's banging the kissaki on the floor a lot of the times though, but maybe its just my eyes.

stevemcgee99
5th December 2002, 05:06
I missed that, wouldn'thave guessed. I do remember something about how many generations and re-formatting the videos have gone through. Maybe the Jumpiness" is a result of that, and the movements appear quicker than they were. Like in Charly Chaplin films, eh?
I'll have to watch them again. They do reveal more than the couple of books I have, and since I don't get a review of kata in every class, I'm glad to have it. Too bad it's different than sensei teaches. ---I could just be misunderstanding it all anyway.