PDA

View Full Version : Bo question

Geoff
3rd December 2002, 19:29
Can anyone provide me with the Japanese term for a bo that is tapered on one end only? I have seen this style of bo represented in literature on both Asian and Occidental staff fighting.

Also, are there specific kata for this type of bo?

Thanks,

Geoff

TomMarker
4th December 2002, 13:45
Sounds like you are talking about a waxwood staff, sometimes referred to as a rat-tail staff. You see a lot of this in Wushu. Most stylists I've watched transition from holding the staff in the center, to holding the back 1/3rd of the staff, thus utilizing the reach. Large, spinning motions with the staff in constant motion.

I don't have a Japanese term for you, or even a Chinese term :) but wushu players have a great deal of kata for these staffs.

kenshorin
7th December 2002, 09:32
Originally posted by TomMarker
Sounds like you are talking about a waxwood staff, sometimes referred to as a rat-tail staff. You see a lot of this in Wushu. Most stylists I've watched transition from holding the staff in the center, to holding the back 1/3rd of the staff, thus utilizing the reach. Large, spinning motions with the staff in constant motion.

I don't have a Japanese term for you, or even a Chinese term :) but wushu players have a great deal of kata for these staffs.

That is what I was thinking of as well. I have seen something along this lines in the past, although infrequently, and as you mention the weapon is held at the rear 1/3rd. The techniques were similar to a demonstration of yarijutsu I saw a few years back. Aside from just these brief glances of it, though, I have no further information either.

Hope you find more on this subject, I think the information is intteresting.

Doug Daulton
17th December 2002, 17:22
Originally posted by Geoff
Can anyone provide me with the Japanese term for a bo that is tapered on one end only? I have seen this style of bo represented in literature on both Asian and Occidental staff fighting.

Also, are there specific kata for this type of bo?

Thanks,

Geoff Geoff,

Good to "see" you here. It is hard to believe it has been over a year since the Symposium.

In any event, there is no name difference of which I am aware. Occaisionally, you will hear non-tapered bo referrred to as kumi-bo [fighting stick]. However, I think that refers more to the bo in question being of rougher wood and more suitable for taking the dings and marks of bo-tai-bo or bo-tai-sai kumite.

Some folks like to keep a nice, unmarked bo for demonstrations and kata practice. So, the kumi-bo is their ugly bo. ;)

Regards,

Doug