PDA

View Full Version : What's your definition of Ninpo?

George Kohler
7th December 2002, 17:42
Hi Everyone,

I was having a conversation on the meaning of Ninpo in another bulletin board and thought this would be a great subject to bring up to see what everyone else thinks Ninpo is.

Jim_Jude
7th December 2002, 20:39
One word. Konjo.

Or the art of getting some konjo.

George Kohler
7th December 2002, 21:39
Originally posted by Jim_Jude
One word. Konjo.

Or the art of getting some konjo.

will-power; guts; temper; nature; spirit?

George Kohler
7th December 2002, 21:40
Does anyone think ninpo has stealth?

Jim_Jude
8th December 2002, 04:26
Originally posted by George Kohler

will-power; guts; temper; nature; spirit?

Sure.

Konjo = (spirit, guts) "The tough spirit or backbone needed to carry through with something. Someone with konjo will be able to make it through even in a difficult situation."

Jim_Jude
8th December 2002, 04:37
Was the question,
"What's your def. of Ninpo?",
or was it, "What concepts & skills make up the art of Ninpo?"

Jim_Jude
8th December 2002, 11:41
Originally posted by Shojin

I would say Stealth is Ninjutsu, soNinjutsu "has" stealth. But following the way of Ninpo, you may use Ninjust including stealth.

This is my opinion...

What about you George?

Well, if we look at Ninjutsu, & where it came from, there is a need for Stealth in order to Endure & Survive. How does a single man or fireteam effectively fight a Company? or Battalion? or an entire Regiment? by using Stealth & Tricky $#!+. Ninjutsu isn't about rolling in with a Tank Brigade, it's about the efforts of single men, or very small groups. Stealth is the ticket.

Unless of course, you practice Saito Ryu, & then you'd have no need to develop those kinds of skills.

(But you'd still win):rolleyes:

Jim_Jude
8th December 2002, 11:52
Heaven forbid I bring a negative turn or drift to this thread, but in my mind, today's Gov't sanctioned assassins are along the lines of USMC STA Platoon Scout Snipers. They focus on mental/physical/psychological endurance, have all kinds of toys, use ghillie suits, & they can really reach out & touch someone. These guys are like ghosts. (& I know from first hand experience, having participated in exercises with them. It's just freaky how they dissapear...)
In my mind, these guys are the ones (I tend to lump all of the elite groups together) that embody Konjo. & whether they know it or not, are the equivalent of Modern Ninja. They use stealth, advanced tactics, & high levels of training to prevail over large groups. They may not have the whole "spiritual ninja thing" but they can definitely play with the best.

George Kohler
8th December 2002, 16:09
Originally posted by George Kohler
Does anyone think ninpo has stealth?

Sorry,

This should have said, "Does anyone think ninpo should have stealth within it's definition?"

George Kohler
8th December 2002, 16:15
Originally posted by Shojin

But following the way of Ninpo...

Doesn't this contradict ninpo? If your following the way, wouldn't that be called nindo?

Jim_Jude
8th December 2002, 16:38
I don't see how we can place "stealth" within the definition. That's like placing "kitchen table" within the definition of Tree. A kitchen table can come out of a tree, but so can a pencil, or a pile of fire wood.

Ninpo.
Nin+Po.
What is the definition of Nin, or Shinobu? The most basic is Endurance/Perseverance/Forbearance, possibly stealth, tho I believe this bit has been attached due to an association with Ninja. A closely related word, Nintai, means Patience.
What is the definition of Po? It means Way, or Universal/Cosmic Law.

I see Ninpo as more of a Life Philosophy, that is why it is considered a higher order of practice compared to Ninjutsu. It is the Philosophy of Enduring/Persevering any attack or hardship, whether it be physical, mental, or spiritual.
Ninjutsu (which includes stealth) is merely a specialized tool that practitioners of Ninpo use to endure attack or hardship.

kimq
8th December 2002, 16:48
Originally posted by Jim_Jude
Heaven forbid I bring a negative turn or drift to this thread, but in my mind, today's Gov't sanctioned assassins are along the lines of USMC STA Platoon Scout Snipers.

They may not have the whole "spiritual ninja thing" but they can definitely play with the best.

It is my understanding that the original practitioners of ninjutsu did not have the whole "spiritual ninja thing" and that spiritualism was added later to help establish a Budo-like appearance. It would seem to me that these people took the "whatever it takes" attitude and operated under the circumstances open to them. As you say, small units tend to avoid open conflict with larger ones, but this does not prevent them from conflicting in other ways with them.

As for modern day snipers, I have to agree that they are an excellent modern example of an ancient Japanese covert soldier. I have a very high opinion of these individuals. They are small, stealthy, expert, and deadly.

Tamdhu
9th December 2002, 18:14
Ninpo is an arm-full of fluffy bunnies in Springtime.

No, really!

No, really, I think ninpo is to be a quiet and unobtrusive source of safety, awareness and enrichment (make of those what you will) for those around you. Not just your family, your clan or neighborhood (although it starts there), but your country and eventually the world.

What separates a 'ninpo' person from just being an all-around swell guy (or gal) is the ability to go much deeper than usual when neccessary, deeper into darknesss, deeper into light, without ever becoming lost or enamored of either.

That's today's answer. Tomorrow's will be different!

Asia
28th December 2002, 06:19
It is my understanding that the original practitioners of ninjutsu did not have the whole "spiritual ninja thing" and that spiritualism was added later to help establish a Budo-like appearance. It would seem to me that these people took the "whatever it takes" attitude and operated under the circumstances open to them. As you say, small units tend to avoid open conflict with larger ones, but this does not prevent them from conflicting in other ways with them.

You are correct on this. But this can be said for MANY other arts as well. Fighting and surviving was foremost of pples mind. Spirituality came later mainly to help pple deal with what was happening around them or what they had to do.