PDA

View Full Version : idea of jujutsu techniques

melinda
8th December 2002, 06:33
Hi, I am considering studying jujutsu and was wondering whether anyone can send me in the direction of some websites with techniques so I can get a better idead of the art and whether it is what Im looking for. Thanks.
Mel

Qasim
9th December 2002, 04:27
Well, that's a request not so simple to answer. A website can be posted, but the school may or may not be accessible to you based on location.

What state are you from? If you just want a website, that can be done but not all schools are the same, we can give you a good school's website but then you may go to a McDojo for training.

Here's the website for the system that I joined.

Fuji Ryu (http://www.fujiryu.com)

It's being re-done but there are some photos posted.

Here is a site over in Europe that has some good video.

http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/index.html

Check out the video clip link and take a look at the links title Jigo Waza, Nage Waza and Duo.

Good luck. :wave:

Chuck.Gordon
9th December 2002, 07:50
Hard to answer your question. "Jujutsu" is a generic term that is used to cover a broad spectrum of Japanese unarmed or lightly-armed fighting arts.

Some look a lot like aikido, some may resemble karate. Others use lots of weapons work, some none at all. Then there are the non-Japanese variants. Many American (and European, from what I've seen) jujutsu schools are combinations of karate and judo (or karate and aikido or kung fu and ... etc.) that use the name 'jujutsu' to differentiate themselves from judo or karate or whatever. The Brazilian jujutsu (or jiu-jitsu) schools are mostly descended from judo lineages and closely resemble that art's groundwork.

I saw your post about Hatsumi Ryu and can't offer you any info about it, never heard of it.

However, if you find out the lineage (teacher's name, his/her teacher's name, parent arts, primary dojo, etc), I know folks who probably can trace it down.

I know that's not much help, but it's a very complex question and not one easily answered.

You might check out Serge Mol's book (can't recall the name right now, but you can seach on his name and it'll turn up) or any of the Koryu Budo series (three books) by Diane Skoss for more info. Also, the Skoss' website, www. koryu/com is treasure trove of info about such things.

Good luck!

Chuck

(edited for spelling errors)

Qasim
11th December 2002, 00:51
Originally posted by Chuck.Gordon
Hard to answer your question. "Jujutsu" is a generic term that is used to cover a broad spectrum of Japanese unarmed or lightly-armed fighting arts.

Not quite accurate, there are different styles of "Jujutsu that are either armed or unarmed systems.

[i]Some look a lot like aikido, some may resemble karate. Others use lots of weapons work, some none at all. Then there are the non-Japanese variants. Many American (and European, from what I've seen) jujutsu schools are combinations of karate and judo (or karate and aikido or kung fu and ... etc.) that use the name 'jujutsu' to differentiate themselves from judo or karate or whatever. The Brazilian jujutsu (or jiu-jitsu) schools are mostly descended from judo lineages and closely resemble that art's groundwork.

Aikido resembles jujutsu, not vice-versa (Jujutsu = ancient, aikido = modern). Karate resembles a few jujutsu techniques (jujutsu ancient, karate = modern. The term was created when Gichin Funakoshi wanted his Shotokan to be accepted by the Japanese.

I saw your post about Hatsumi Ryu and can't offer you any info about it, never heard of it.

However, if you find out the lineage (teacher's name, his/her teacher's name, parent arts, primary dojo, etc), I know folks who probably can trace it down.

I know that's not much help, but it's a very complex question and not one easily answered.

You might check out Serge Mol's book (can't recall the name right now, but you can seach on his name and it'll turn up) or any of the Koryu Budo series (three books) by Diane Skoss for more info. Also, the Skoss' website, www. koryu/com is treasure trove of info about such things.

Good luck!

Chuck

(edited for spelling errors) [/B][/QUOTE]

Qasim
11th December 2002, 01:29
Originally posted by Chuck.Gordon

Serge Mol's book is "Classical Fighting Arts of Japan, A Complete Guide to Koryu Jujutsu"

Just a correction to the Skoss website Koryu.com (http://www.koryu.com)

Good luck in your search. :wave:

TyroneTurner
11th December 2002, 15:58
Qasim was right by saying that this is not an easy question to answer, but here is a very general overview that I think that this a primer that I hope you'll find helpful.

Jujutsu is an ancient form Japanese unarmed combat that was originally designed for an unarmed person to defend against weapons - long enough for the defender to draw another weapon (i.e. retrieve his sword or spear, or grab his "back-up piece" - tanto/dagger).

Make no mistake about it, having a weapon was definitely one's first choice. Without a sword or spear on the battlefield, you can have the best unarmed fighting skills in the universe but it would just be a matter of a few moments before you were sliced and diced.

Jujutsu techniques are designed to be quick and brutal because on the battlefield, wasting time disposing of an opponent could mean death.

Jujutsuka were well schooled in anatomy. It was said that the patriarch of Daito-ryu Jujutsu use to examine corpses regulary to learn about the frailties of the human body.

Jujutsu strikes attack vulnerable areas like the temples, throat, eyes, groin, solar plexus, and various meridians. Warriors oftentimes wore armor so it made more sense to attack these areas. Also, joints like the wrist, elbow, were good targets to apply joint locks (kansetuwaza). There were also a lot of powerful foot sweeps and throws. Judo's throws are derived from schools of Jujutsu.

Jujutsu also has many "come along holds" that you can use to calm down an aggressive person or to restrain them. A lot of bouncers and law enforcement officers utilize these kind of techniques.

There are scores of websites on Jujutsu, but one of my favorites is Wally Jay's. Check out the priciples of Small Circle Jujitsu by clicking on this link, http://www.smallcirclejujitsu.com/principles.html

A good book on Jujutsu is JAPAN'S ULTIMATE MARTIAL ART: JUJUTSU BEFORE 1882, THE CLASSICAL JAPANESE ART OF SELF-DEFENSE, by Darrell Craig.

Look up this book on Amazon.com. They have scanned a few pages from the book and you can view them.

All the best to you and your training.

Sincerely,

melinda
12th December 2002, 02:51
Hi, thanks for everyones help and input. Really appreciate it.
Mel.

Chris Schimdt
13th December 2002, 20:45
I would suggest going to a dojo in your area and watching class.
Most teachers are interested in prospective students.
I would also suggest checking out a Genbukan school if there is one near you.
www.genbukan.org