PDA

View Full Version : Kyokushin Karate

Soulend
8th December 2002, 15:22
Hello all. I am trying to find a dojo to enroll my son in, however, there are not many to choose from over here. I have found a place by the name of McCullough Submission Fighting that also teaches Kyokushin Karate (in addition to some sort of UFC type MMA for adults). The instructor is a man by the name of Will McCullough.

Has anyone heard of this fellow in respect to Kyokushin karate? This dojo is apparently endorsed by the U.S. Karate Federation (? not sure if this is the same as the U.S.A. Karate Federation).

I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but perhaps someone has heard of him. I plan on watching a class - is it true that the beginning kata are similar to those of Shotokan? I may recognize some of it if so, although it has been many years since I practiced Shotokan. Is there anything else I should be looking for, or asking?

TIA,

Budoka 34
8th December 2002, 18:58
David:

The only USKF I know was run by Hanshi Robert Fabrey out of Sharpsville Pa.

It is not part of Hanshi Andersons USAKF.

Hanshi Fabrey's organization was not part of any Kyokushin group, at the time of Oyama Senseis death, that I know of.

I trained with Sensei Fabrey for several years. He was a good teacher that focused on the kihon and he turned out some talented students.

If Mr. McCullough is teaching Kyokushin as taught by Hanshi Fabrey the first kata is Taikyoku Sonoichi. They teach three "levels" of Taikyoku.

I'll see if I can find out more, or put you in touch with Hanshi Fabrey.

Hope this helps.

tamashi
8th December 2002, 20:22
You might want to see if he is affiliated with
the Inernational Federation of Karate - IFK
here is their link for the US:
http://www.uskyokushin.com

I would say watch a few classes and see what you think.

Soulend
9th December 2002, 06:01
Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I'm going to observe a class tonight.

Amphinon
9th December 2002, 13:12
There is a USKA around that has Kyokushin schools as members. A local school run by Jimmy Blann is part of it.

I don't have any contacts in the USKA, but I will ask Jimmy.

Soulend
10th December 2002, 04:06
LOL, Mr. Dyer...first sig with sound I've ever seen! Well, I was a bit mistaken. He does apparently hold a nidan in Kyokushin, but what he teaches is a MMA incorporating a variety of skills from many different styles (not only Asian arts, but also L.I.N.E., Greco-Roman wrestling, and western boxing), in which he either holds rank or has other experience. I was very impressed both at his skill and at his enthusiasm and teaching ability. He is also a retired Marine close combat instructor, so we have some common ground.

The kids seemed to be learning real skills, as well as having a good time, and in the adults class even the 'beginner' adults appeared to be quite good with a well-rounded skill set. This type of eclectic style and the fairly informal manner are a bit different than what I'm used to, but the respect is there, the skills are evident, and formal class is held five days a week, with the dojo open for individual training and practice on Saturdays..one may come as often as one wishes. He is very honest about what he's teaching - there are no mystical lineages or anything. He has been training for 24 years.

What was really odd was that the man appears to be just as naive (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=147979#post147979) as I am. From their dojo guide:

"For our kid's classes, we feel strongly that martial arts should not only instill self-defense skills, but also assist parents in teaching life long values. Each child's class we spend time discussing "The value of the month". Our young students must be able to discuss, understand, and give examples of these values in order to be considered for promotion to their next rank. The values discussed include - Positive Thinking, Responsibility, Respect, Acceptance, Cooperation, Honesty, Friendship, Generosity, Self Discipline, Compassion and Perseverance. In addition, young students who are not performing to their parent's standards at school or at home will not be permitted to test for promotion, regardless of their conduct at our class."

Of course this latter part will not need the sensei's intervention in my case but it is good to hear. He really seems to care about his students.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post. Just wanted to let ya know how it went, and say thank you all for your help. I think we've found a good place.