PDA

View Full Version : Chun Kuk Do

Soulend
8th December 2002, 15:35
Is anyone familiar with this style founded by Chuck Norris? I'm a little bewildered by their requirement to be a member of their 'student organization' for 3 years before one can be graded for Shodan. Is this common these days? In my dojo you simply paid your dues, and when Sensei thought you were ready he would suggest you test, at which point you could pay a testing fee and be tested by a panel. There was no requirement to be a member of any organization.

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to get my son into a good dojo, one that will teach him more than simply how to fight. The UFAF site (http://www.ufaf.org/visitors_page.htm) doesn't tell me much about the philosophy of Chun Kuk Do.

TIA,

Sochin
9th December 2002, 01:28
Ahhh, David,

Your heat is obviously in the right place , Soulend, but you are a little naive...

please,
find a dojo to teach ihim how to fight and YOU teach him the "MORE."

Hmmm?

Soulend
9th December 2002, 05:57
I do just that, as I have the past 12 years, however a dojo which contradicts what I teach, and the example I try to set is going to be counterproductive. I'm not looking for someone to raise my son and teach him values. I'm looking for a sensei who espouses decency, respect, and traditional aspects of budo to reinforce what I try to teach him.

I was unaware that a desire to get my son into a school or system with a good moral character is 'naive'. Perhaps such a character is no longer part of karate-do. My sensei must have been odd, I seemed to learn much more from them than how to kick the sh*t out of people.

I apologize for wasting your time with my question. Maybe I'll just buy him a box cutter and some Ashida Kim books.

J T Partridge
9th December 2002, 06:45
I'm a little bewildered by their requirement to be a member of their 'student organization' for 3 years before one can be graded for Shodan.

David,

The link to Chucks site does provide what you are looking for in it DOES state the Values taught in his system. The page link titled "Kick drus out of America" gives a little indication, no?
How much more info on their values could you ask from a site!

If I lived in the U.S and my son wanted to train a a Chuck Norrids school, I'd proberly not have a second thought, I mean for a man of Chucks stature to put his name to a system I'm sure he DOES make sure that a very high standard of ethics are taught and instilled into his students and teachers!

All I can say is go to the school and judge for yourself...Or do you think that members on the forum, could give better advice?

Good Luck.

Justin.

J T Partridge
9th December 2002, 06:48
Sorry just to add.

In reference to the 3 yrs for shodan...

Thank chuck! :p

If this where the case in EVERY M A school there would be NO need for bad budo!

Soulend
9th December 2002, 12:12
All I can say is go to the school and judge for yourself...Or do you think that members on the forum, could give better advice?

Yes, I figured that with 6,633 members someone might be familiar with it, and let me know if it's a competition-driven, star-spangled dogi type of style, or one that stresses kata, kihon, and rei. At any rate, thanks for your help. I'll go check it out.

Steven Malanosk
9th December 2002, 14:15
Hi Gunny,

Chun Kuk Do, is an offshoot of Tang Soo Do = Korean Shotokan with more emphisis on kicking.

Chuck Norris, started in JuDo, but after an injury, switched to Tang Soo. Both of these he trained in while stationed in Korea "US Air Force."

They are kata based in curriculim, and of course, excell in Kumite.

Better organized, than the original, CHUCK NORRIS KARATE STUDIOS, which he sold years ago, when he got his big break.

Steven Malanosk
9th December 2002, 14:21
Sheeeeesh! I forgot to get to the original premise!

Chuck is like a KaraTe Mormon, so to speak.

He was picked as the new American answer to Bruce Lee, because of his wholesome and moral persona.

I'm not saying that the guys a saint, but he is a good example setter.

His System and Organization, echo this = Kick Drugs etc.

Can only hope that the individual school and teacher, live up to it.

I beleive that they probably do.

Soulend
9th December 2002, 16:16
Thanks Devil-Dog, and a belated congratulations on your promotion, by the way! That is the kind of info I was looking for. I think I was misunderstood somewhat that I was looking for someone to raise/babysit my kid for me, or a Mr. Miyagi type that spews aphorisms as he trims his bonsai. This is not the case. I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Norris, and realize that he is a good example. But I had never heard of this style before, and I have known of dojos run by very good martial artists, but where grading was based on competition placings, number of boards broken, or the like.

Sounds very good. I'm taking a look at a Kyokushin dojo tonight, and then see about checking this one out. The training area was certainly very nice, and it is listed on the UFAF site. I didn't know that Mr. Norris started in Judo, or that he had sold his original karate studio chain. Interesting.