PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of which...

fifthchamber
8th December 2002, 15:12
Hi all.
I was recently posting about MA magazines here in the UK and about how bad they are in general...I recently bought a copy of 'Martial Arts' by CFW Enterprises:
http://Japan.cfw2.com/magazine.asp?content_id=2033
....And one article in particular caught my eye. The one by Scott Shaw PhD.
It is about the Korean synthesis of Kendo into it's own 'Kumdo' form of Sword-sport. The article features around 5-6 photos of the author Mr. Shaw using a Katana in Iaido fashion....The thing that got me was that it was held in the Shirasaya and not in any discernible Koshirae (I also could not see any mekugi but they have been covered)....My question is why this was? I know that a live blade is risky WITH the correct 'uniform' but in a display case?
Doea anyone here know of Mr. Shaw and what he actually teaches? Probably Kumdo I would guess but maybe some Iaido also? (They show the Korean Iaido too...With a straight edged blade..It looked quite interesting. Anyone here seen it/done it?).
Thanks for responses..
Yours.

gendzwil
8th December 2002, 19:09
Originally posted by fifthchamber
The article features around 5-6 photos of the author Mr. Shaw using a Katana in Iaido fashion....The thing that got me was that it was held in the Shirasaya and not in any discernible Koshirae (I also could not see any mekugi but they have been covered)....My question is why this was?
Because the author doesn't have a clue? I'd discount any information in an article like that.

Scott Irey
8th December 2002, 23:11
I saw the article, I have looked through his book on the sword as well. Neil has it right....clueless....and did I mention CLUELESS?

will
9th December 2002, 04:44
A few years ago, after Mr. Shaw's iaido(snort) book came out, I gave a copy to a well-respected iaido instructor (as a joke). He says he keeps it right next to his toilet.

Scott Irey
9th December 2002, 07:48
Next to his toilet? Are there any pages left? ;)

fifthchamber
9th December 2002, 13:21
Hi all.
Yeah....Figures really. (See irate posts in the members lounge about bad magazines everywhere...Here's one more I guess..).
Thanks.
Ben.