PDA

View Full Version : Translation Stuff

joe dot ie
10th December 2002, 16:48
Buyu

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

I'm looking for a few kanji name's.

Basically I would like the kanji for "Shuriken Jitsu". "Hojo Juitsu" and "Suijutsu"

As you have probably guessed im a practicing member of the Bujinkan, i would like them to spruce my training folder up a bit

Also could anyone tell me what this means ”ªŠp?¯?p

I'm hoping I got it right and i says "The art of the 8 directional star"
It doesn't mean much, but as an exercise it would be nice if I got it right.

I look forward to any help you may be able to give.

Joe Dunne
www.bujinkan.ie

renfield_kuroda
10th December 2002, 23:10
shurikenjutsu=Žè— Œ•?p
hojojutsu=•ß“ê?p
suijutsu=?…?p
”ªŠp?¯?p=hakkaku seijutsu (is that some kind of astrology?)

Regards,
renfield kuroda

ghp
11th December 2002, 00:40
Hi Joe.

I believe the dagger type of throwing knife (dart) is technically called bo shuriken, whereas the multi-pointed ones are generically called "shaken" (that's shah-ken, not "shaken, not stirred" :D ).

Ren, help me out here, I can't remember the kanji for ri and sha.

Shuriken: shu=hand, ri=[?launch?], ken=sword. A prefix is sometimes used: bo=staff/stick [in this instance, a long cylindircal object]. So, a bo shuriken is a "stick-shaped hand-launched [?] knife/sword. We'd call it a "throwing knife" or "dart" in standard English.

Shaken: sha=? [Ren, is this the same sha/sute meaning to throw away/discard??], ken=sword/knife. Literally -- (if I guess "sha" correctly) -- a "throw-away knife". When these are called "hira shuriken" the "hira" would imply a "flat shuriken" as a opposed to the "regular" bo-shuriken.

While searching for my lost kanji I stumbled upon this informative site: http://www.aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/shuriken/intro.htm

In any case, I don't think the words for "star" (hoshi and sei) were used by the Japanese (I could be wrong -- I've proved that on many occasions :D ) -- Ren was politely telling you that "seijutsu" would not be recognizable as a martial art to Japanese -- even those involved in martial arts.

Regards,
Guy

Jeff Hamacher
11th December 2002, 01:05
Guy,

the ri is this case means "back; behind; rear", though it's not nearly so suggestive as it sounds in english! it's also read ura, opposite of omote. the connection to launching might be found in another character read ri: hanareru. you'll find it in the compound ririku, as in "(a plane) taking off".

hakkaku simply means octagon, so is hakkakusei-jutsu supposed to be "octagonal throwing star technique"?

ghp
11th December 2002, 01:35
Jeff,

Thanks for the informative clarifications. "Hand/inner" [te no ura] then would imply hidden, right? If so, would "shuriken" more accurately be described as a "hand-hidden knife"?

Was my guess "sha=sute" correct?

As far as "octagon-shaped", I think Joe was attempting the time-honored "direct translation from English into Japanese" method -- which seldom works. A noble attempt, though (it's a good start, Joe ;) ). Hakkaku= 8 corners ... I think he was shooting for "8-pointed" ... what's that, "hassaki"??

Regards,
Guy

renfield_kuroda
11th December 2002, 05:50
Yep, shuriken is written "hand" "back" "blade". Not entirely sure why ri uses the "ura" kanji; maybe because of the stealth implications?

Re. shaken, I've never heard of the word written "throwing away" "blade", but on this page: http://seiryuka.hp.infoseek.co.jp/info/infopage.html

it's written "car" "blade" but refers to the more generic "sha/kuruma" meaning in the sense of a wheel and thus something that spins.

FYI I've seen this guy on TV: http://seiryuka.hp.infoseek.co.jp/tekunik/tekunikupage.html
and he's damn good. Nails small targets from tens of meters out quite well.

regards,
renfield kuroda

ghp
11th December 2002, 16:29
Hi Ren,
"sha/kuruma" AHA!!! Magic is so obvious when you know the trick. Of course, now I can fully understand shaken "wheel knife."

Thanks a lot Ren.

--Guy

Andy Watson
12th December 2002, 14:15
Here ya go...

ghp
18th December 2002, 03:15
Thanks Andy ... if you had posted those kanji earlier I wouldn't have made such a mess of things! owch!

--Guy

Andy Watson
18th December 2002, 09:55
My pleasure!

Happy Xmas