PDA

View Full Version : Sword Blanks

Paulo K. Ogino
14th December 2002, 02:15
Hi,

I'd like to know if anybody knows where I can find sword blanks for grinding, sharpening and polishing. I'll use them for tameshigiri, and also for practice with polishing techniques, any web site where I can buy them? I would prefer not to heat treat them, since I don't have a forge.

thanks!

stevemcgee99
14th December 2002, 02:26
Well, like every other query for MA equipment on this forum that I've read, the answer is "try Kim Taylor's site". There are blanks there. I believe they'll need heat treating, however. If you find nothing else, give Ron Hock (a woodworking edged tool maker) a buzz via a webite bearing his name. He heat treats, and could provide a lot of info about how to go about doing it or point you in a direction to find someone who can do it for you. HTH.

Paulo K. Ogino
14th December 2002, 13:34
Hi, thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm taking a loot at Sei Do Kai's web site. I've never made a purchase from Canada, does anybody know if I'll have to pay any customs import tax? Sorry if the question sounds basic or out from context.

Thankz!!! :D

gendzwil
14th December 2002, 14:51
Depends on where in "the world" you are. If you are in the US and the item is Canadian-made, there shouldn't be any duty (free trade and all). If the item is Japanese made then I believe that typically similar duties apply as if you were importing direct. At least, that's the way it works importing from US to Canada and I think it's similar rules the other way 'round. Except we have to pay 7% GST on everything no matter where it comes from.

Gorget the Frog
14th December 2002, 17:39
Except we have to pay 7% GST on everything no matter where it comes from.

Of course occasionally Canadian customs will just slap an arbitrary value on something and royally screw you over. Nothing like the duty on an imported cd being equivilent to what you paid for it.

Robert Wolfe
14th December 2002, 20:13
The Atlanta Cutlery company offers an unmounted katana blade (made by Windlass Steelcrafts in India) for $44.95 -- the phone number is (800) 883-0300 and the web site is www.atlantacutlery.com.

Paulo K. Ogino
16th December 2002, 21:45
Thank you guys for the feedback. I'll keep my search, and then I'll post the results...

Thankz!!! :D