PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Gunting Weapon

TommyK
22nd December 2002, 05:45
Greetings,

Spyderco makes and sells several versions of the above listed weapon, bladed, non-edged bladed and for law enforcement only. The item described was designed by Bram Frank. Can anyone describe their use, or stories of this device being used, in confrontations. In addition, would any one like to describe their views on this device?

Thank you,
Regards,
TommyK

Joseph Svinth
22nd December 2002, 06:37
Check Sharp Phil's site -- I think he just wrote about this knife.

INFINOO
22nd December 2002, 17:55
Tommy: A little history first. The original version of the kenitic opening knife was called the Escalator. It was made by a Round Eye tool and knife company. I have a couple of old escalators in my collection. Its smaller has a differnt lock (rolling lock) and less of a hump.
Although it had it short comings like the clip just being drilled into the G-10 handles(my clip feel off) I still liked the knife. Without going into details, there was some bad blood between Bram and Bob Taylor and the escaltor design was sold to spyder-co.

Spyder-Co version called the "Gunting" which is a also a crossing motion with the arms/steel/stick in the FMA. The Gunting was completly redesigned and has a new lock design called a (compresion). The knife is bigger than its predeseser and uses CPM 440 V steel(great stainless steel) instead of the escalators ATS-34(good stainless steel). There is a "spoon clip" (drilled into the liners:D) and indexing point for spinning grip switches for normal/reverse grip. Between the high clip and the ramp the Gunting pretty much takes up your whole pocket. There is a kydex sheath for a closed Gunting that rides on the hip if this is a problem(Skunkworks). With the kydex rig the tomahawking motion of the Guntings ramp is easier to bring into play.
As far as what I think of the device Im a big fan of pocket sticks/Impact tools of any kind so for me its a no brainer. The fact that the Gunting can be opened up on the attacker(arms, leg, body, face) if need be is bonus IMO. I also like little knives(less than three inches) with big handles.
By the way, I first met Bram Frank several years ago at Jim Keatings Southern Riddle of Steel Bowie knife seminar. Nice guy.

Regards

Gregory Rogalsky
Rogalsky Combatives International
Calgary Alberta Canada