PDA

View Full Version : Oguri Ryu Wajutsu

Hellsten
25th December 2002, 13:58
Hello, I like to ask you about the Oguri Ryu as after I asked about this particular ryu from Swordsart forum I found out there might be more information about the jujutsu side of this ryu. If you can advise where I can find more information about the Oguri Ryu (and the relationship to Tosa area in Shikoku).

I know this ryu is a combined martial art and I found one german language webpage (automatic internet translation):

Oguri Niemon Masanobu (1582-?), son of the Oguri Mataichi Nobuyasu and the founder of the Oguri Ryu learned already in young years Yagyu Shinkage Ryu of the famous sword master Yagyu Sekishusai Muneyoshi. After the battle of Osaka, around the year 1616, went it to Nagasaki and developed there its system. It named a discipline of its school Wajutsu or „peace art“. This formed the Urawaza (internal technology) the system. The Omotewaza (external technology) consisted of the sword fight. Yamanouchi Tadatoya, sovereign of Tosa, Oguri Niemon invited 1623 and asked it therefore to teach Oguri Ryu in Tosa. One assumes, instructed the Oguri three generations of the Tosa-Daimyo. The tradition became of Asahina Enzaemon, its inheriting, continued. Based on the narrow connection to the principality Tosa, is designated the Oguri Ryu also sometimes as a Tosa Han Wajutsu. A further school, which the term Wajutsu used to describe around its apprenticeships, was the Horikuchi Ryu out of Yato.
(from: http://www.tenshukaku.de/kumi2.htm )

I am pleased to get any information of this ryu.

Yours

Pasi Hellsten

Lance Gatling
5th September 2008, 10:53
I have some densho from Oguri ryu; it is one of the up to (according to some sources) almost 200 offshoots of Takeuchi ryu jujutsu. Some of them have line drawings of the various holds.

AFAIK it is not practiced anymore.

Steve Delaney
6th September 2008, 19:28
Yes, that school is no longer extant Pasi.

How are things in Finland?

Lance Gatling
7th September 2008, 07:22
Yes, that school is no longer extant Pasi.

How are things in Finland?

Steve,

How would you translate
Urawaza
Omotewaza
?
This was an old thread but I was looking at the densho and then found this.