PDA

View Full Version : Nakamura Ryu books

Will Wetherell
28th December 2002, 16:29
Hi all

Does anyone know of any good books in English about Nakamura Ryu Batto-jutsu?

Cheers,

Will

stevemcgee99
29th December 2002, 05:33
I haven't read them. Send a message to ghp for a good answer. But...

Try ECMAS website, and ebay. Both places you'll find a book that has japanese on one page and english translations on the facing page. I think. Also, try Mugendo Budogu and Satcho.
HTH.

ghp
29th December 2002, 19:17
Sorry, nothing in English. Around 1985 a Japanese university professor published IAIBATTODO, a "translated" curtailed version of Nippon-to Tameshigiri no Shinzui with Nakamura sensei's permission. However, the translation was apparently rendered by a machine translator, a proto-translator similar to "bablefish.com". If you've ever tried to translate a foreign document into English on Bablefish -- then you can understand what I'm referring to [you get the gist of the topic, but the verbiage is often puzzling or downright funny]. It's just plain bad. Instead of "test cutting" for tameshigiri, they say "a trial for hewing"; and other strange usages. If they used a native speaker of English to edit the translation -- it would have been much better.

Additionally, the author [Kao Takahashi] -- apparently runs a Shorinjiryu karate club at the university and used his female assistant to model the kamae -- which is really laughable and would be a candidate for the "bad budo" thread. Takahashi sensei is apparently highly ranked in Jukendo and so-jutsu ... and another book by him {Miyamoto Musashi, Vol. 1: Truths and Falsehoods
} credits him as the 14th soke of Enmei-ryu.

I just did a search and found it here (http://www.buyubooks.com/product_details.cfm?id=10208) for $20.00. Buy it if you must .... but you will probably regret it.

Regards,
Guy

Will Wetherell
29th December 2002, 21:01
Right, I see. Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,

Will

Will Wetherell
30th December 2002, 02:15
Thanks very much for posting that Jason. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to this new edition.

Cheers,

Will