PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu and Aikijujutsu

Martial Sloth
31st December 2002, 07:59
Friends,

I was wondering if anyone here can explain to me the fundamental differences in techniques and strategy between jujutsu and aikijujutsu. I know the history between the two, I'm looking at it practically. If I were to go to either class, what differences could I expect to see?

Brently Keen
31st December 2002, 18:13
Not to be flippant or sarcastic, but if you actually went to some classes of both I expect you'd see some of the differences. Being "slothful" is nowhere near as enlightening as venturing out and getting experience. It might depend on who the teachers are though - some "aikijujutsu" doesn't really have much aiki and doesn't look or feel all that different than jujutsu.

Short of going to an authentic ajj class and training there for yourself, a search through the threads over on the aikijujutsu forum (and also over at aikido journal under the Daito-ryu forums) will reveal this topic has been discussed over and over again.

I highly recommend Stanley Pranin's book Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu: Conversations with Daito-ryu Masters. Video's are also available from www.aikidojournal.com and www.keenmedia.com - be aware that many Daito-ryu demonstrations and videos feature primarily basic Daito-ryu Jujutsu. Traditionally, Daito-ryu contains both jujutsu and aiki no jutsu among other things, the combination of the two - or perhaps more correctly the application of one to the other results in aikijujutsu.

The 50th commemorative demonstration tape (from aikidojournal)is a good starting place for seeing different DR instructors - they're mostly demonstrating Daito-ryu Jujutsu (although they may not indicate or say as much), with the most aiki being demonstrated there by Inoue shihan of the Kodokai, and just bit's of aiki here and there shown by a few others. For more aiki, look at any of the Roppokai videos. You'll see right away something that looks very different - even fake, but rest assured it's for real.

Happy New Year,

Brently Keen