PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Forum

Exorcist_Fist
9th January 2003, 07:24
To be honest, I think it was nice of Herr Doktor Svinth to take over the forum, but without the posting enthusiasm of Robert, I think this one is on a slow rode to nowhere.

CKohalyk
9th January 2003, 08:24
What can we do to liven things up? Have a theme week? You know: Japanese Racism week... Economic Disaster Week... Banks Week...

Or maybe just a funny hat day.

Any suggestions?

Exorcist_Fist
9th January 2003, 08:53
Anything as long as its not a fundoshi themed drink up. I don't think I can take that.

Joseph Svinth
10th January 2003, 02:48
I have to admit that I don't haven't read Japan Times closely since 1945, when I learned that the US Pacific Fleet was being lured to its destruction in Tokyo Bay.

Nonetheless, I can make a pass through the online rags a bit more often if you like. You know, to liven things up.

Let's see. Googling, we find Official Bad Budo in South Africa. http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,1113,2-7-1442_1305498,00.html (Karate teacher sodomizing children, 9 boys and 1 girl)

Likewise, if we go to India, we find http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20021224/ldh1.htm

"Frauds alleged: Three cases of alleged fraud have been registered at the Civil Lines police station... Mr Khem Chand, a resident of Street No 7 in Jawahar Nagar, under Sections 420, 467, 468, 471 and 120-B of the IPC, against Surinder Kumar, a resident of Amritsar, Jatinder Singh, a resident of Hoshiarpur and Prithpal Singh, a resident of Sunam. The complainant had alleged that the accused were running a karate training centre under his supervision but they issued course certificates to the students by using his forged signatures on the certificates without taking him into confidence. The accused had thus committed a fraud on him, he added."

Oops. That's the other forum. So how's this? The K-1 promoter, Ishii, indicted. http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=2&id=244312 .

TOKYO Prosecutors indicted a promoter of popular martial arts contests dubbed K-1 and his company Friday on charges of failing to pay some 60 million yen in corporate tax over two years to 1998, the prosecutors said.

Kazuyoshi Ishii, 49, chief of Seidokaikan, or the International Practical Karate-Do Association, was indicted without being arrested for allegedly failing to declare some 160 million yen in corporate income over the two-year period by allocating fictional promotion costs, they said. (Kyodo News)

Exorcist_Fist
10th January 2003, 04:37
Joe, just so you know, I was not casting aspersions... ((Ooh, I love to say that)) I just think roberts life experience here brought a certain resonance to the news he posted.

Jody Holeton
10th January 2003, 04:58
How about all of us Japan living, e-budoists write a thread a week?

I am thinking about doing an "English Teacher's Guide to Japan" website.

Why not do advice for MA/language learners/tourist traps/dating JW/ or anything that comes from our pool of knowledge?

I would love to hear about Red Fist's foray into Japan's computer world or a day in the life of a Bujinkan member...

I am thinking about getting my shoudan from the Kodokan and writing about the dos and the donts.

Good, bad?:D

CKohalyk
10th January 2003, 05:04
Yeah, no disrespect to Joe.

As far as I am concerned, I like to come to the Japan forum to discuss current events and life experiences in Japan. Most of the other forums are to do with Japanese history and Budo history etc, but this is the only forum that allows comment on current themes. They may have nothing to do with Budo, but everything to do with Japan. It also proves a nice little battlefield for people who have not been (ie truly lived/worked) in Japan to see their senpai talk about things and ask questions for clarification.

A good lurker forum, I hope more people use it.

Also a good rant forum. There are enough people on here with such a diverse range of experiences that one-sided rants (ie MINE) can get a little perspective. Good for balancing out the extremists.

I will try to contribute, but my threads tend not to be too popular.

CK

BTW, did you hear Morishita, president of PRIDE, hung himself?

Jody Holeton
10th January 2003, 05:33
WOW!

He was like a 7th degree kyokushin black belt! Why did he hang himself?

Talk about a thread!

Exorcist_Fist
10th January 2003, 05:33
Yep. At first I thought it was the president of K1 since he is under investigation for massive tax fraud.

As for the computer world and working here in Japan, don't, its a horrible horrible joke. I gotta get out of here asap.

CKohalyk
10th January 2003, 06:29
Somehow I don't think Morishta Naoto was a Kyokushin 7th. He was the president of DreamStage Entertainment, a fight promoter.

The headline said "PRIDE Organizer apparently kills self."

Those boys were so Yakked up, and as a result there will probably be no investigation. (Sorry for being cynical)

Anyways, I wonder what'll happen with PRIDE?

Jody Holeton
10th January 2003, 07:15
Dear Silent Dan,

Horrible horrible joke?

Last Xmas my life became an urban legend in my neck of the woods! My little spot of Japan ALL wickedness is high on the horrid list!