PDA

View Full Version : Sokai ranks

Robert Liljeblad
9th January 2003, 13:35
Gassho all,

I’m interested in the ranking system with Sokai ranks in Kongo Zen. As I understand there are eleven different levels.

What are the requirements for the different ranks?
How many non-Japanese have received these ranks and at what level?
Any other information about this is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Liljeblad
10th February 2003, 13:22
Hi all,

The Internet is a great source of information found the different sokai ranks on the Swedish and Brittish homepage:
sho doshi
gon chu doshi
chu doshi
gon dai doshi
dai doshi
gon sho hoshi
sho hoshi
gon chu hoshi
chu hoshi
gon dai hoshi
dai hoshi

Does anyone know what the requirements for the different ranks are? Or anything else on these?

Best regards,

Indar
11th February 2003, 12:50
Tony Kehoe has kindly agreed to provide some answers; I'm waiting in anticipation

Indar Picton-Howell

Kimpatsu
11th February 2003, 14:00
Originally posted by Indar
Tony Kehoe has kindly agreed to provide some answers; I'm waiting in anticipation
I have? Ah, OK, I'll get onto creating a list later this week.
Kesshu.

Indar
11th February 2003, 15:09
Originally posted by Kimpatsu

Gassho, Indar-san.
OK, I'll write a full answer later in the week, when I have some time (it's Chinese New Year this weekend, and the chances of me doing anywork are zero).
Kesshu.

Thanks Tony

Indar Picton-Howell

Anders Pettersson
12th March 2003, 22:39
Originally posted by Robert Persson
The Internet is a great source of information found the different sokai ranks on the Swedish and Brittish homepage.

Please note that there is a mistake in the romaization of some of the Sokai ranks on the British federation homepage (as of today, but I am sure it will soon be corrected). The ones published by Robert from the Swedish homepage is correct.
(there is two ways to read the character Gon/ken and in the way you read the Sokai ranks it should be "gon" according to the japanese Fukudoku-hon).

As for requirements of the Sokai this will now be changed (from April 1st) and Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji have notified me that they will send out information to those kenshi that have Sokai ranks and live abroad about the new requirements.

/Anders