PDA

View Full Version : Hello...

Ookami-shinkage
9th January 2003, 21:02
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right directions....
I am 18 years old, and I live in Sedalia Missouri.

I am wanting to study Battou-jutsu, however, I do not know what ryu-ha I would want to study in.
There is only one martial arts dojo in 60 miles that I know of. And it is a Tae Kwon Do dojo. I have been looking and searching, but I have came to no prevail. I would be really dedicated.
Sadly, learning kenjutsu is the only real ambition I have. I am currently going to State Fair College here in Sedalia, but I still have alot of time, as I am taking only four courses.
I know this is unrealistic, but I have been dreaming of becoming the best since I was old enough to pick up a stick and pretend fight with my brother.
I do, however, have a lack of self-esteem when it comes to the fact that I am already a young adult, and I did not start my training early.

I am fairly strong, but I lack a serious ammount of speed. Infact, I would actually rather be real fast and weak over being strong and slow.
Ack, enough of my sensless ramblings...
Sorry if I bored you. :o

Soulend
9th January 2003, 21:23
Was wondering when you'd get over here from the Bugei forums...

DCPan
9th January 2003, 21:58
Mr. Nick Evangelista, an expert in classical fencing, lives in Missouri. His book, the Inner Game of Fencing, is excellant and some of thoughts about modern fencing echos the way people think about classic vs tournament kendo.

I don't have his contact information, but you can inquire with the St. Louis University Fencing Club for that info.

http://www.nuerble.com/kabal/l&t2.htm

I crossed trained with these folks...they are really nice and really skilled at what they do.

The author of Persimmon Winds, Mr. Dave Lowry, also trains somewhere in Missouri. If you are dedicated enough, approach him at the next Japanese Festival held in St. Louis Botanical Gardens. Mr. Lowry also visits this forum, if I'm not mistaken. I had the pleasure to watch his first demonstration of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in the St. Louis University Asian Art Museum. Had school not taken me away from St. Louis, I'd beg to train with him. Whether he would train me or not, is another matter entirely :D I will warn you though, the dedication needed for training in koryu is not something to be stepped into lightly. I did not ask Mr. Lowry if I could train with him while I was in St. Louis because I felt I couldn't give the kind of commitment his training would require and deserve.

There's also a new Kendo Club in St. Louis.

http://listserv.uoguelph.ca/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101&L=iaido-l&P=R3648&D=0

Good luck!

Ookami-shinkage
10th January 2003, 00:47
Thank you for the information. However, I live a good 3-4 hours from St Louis. I will nonetheless, try and contact the people you have mentioned for further information.

And hellow again, Soulend. :D

Aozora
10th January 2003, 16:47
My $.02 is to get to St. Louis on a regular basis if you can. If you're concerned about the commitment to a koryu martial art, go with the kendo first (although that does take quite a bit of committment too). Kendo seems like it would have some good fundamentals for training in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu (which is what Mr. Lowry teaches), so you won't be throwing yourself off too much.

As far as worrying about what age you begin training, I'd let that go. I mean, if you're wanting to win the World Championships in Kendo, perhaps you are starting late, but that's not the same thing as your personal best, which is far more important to me. In my kendo club, there's a guy who has just started and he's in his early 40's.

I've heard of a number of folks who are 8th dans in above in Japan in iaido and didn't start til their mid or late 20's. At 18, you've got plenty of time, and it might even behoove you to wait until you graduate college, relocate to some other city and begin serious training there (or perhaps even transfer to a different college next semseter if you just can't wait ;)). I can certainly sympathize with the overwhelming urge to hop into budo, but a little patience and discretion with yield much better rewards than starting a couple years early. :)

CEB
10th January 2003, 17:09
The Kendo Club is St. Louis are good people. Shawn is a good guy. Some of them have come up to Bloomington to train with us on ocassion and we usally go down there and train with them on labor day weekend. This year we did a Kendo demo at the Japanese festival to help promote Shawn's Kendo efforts in St. Louis. Shawn is an Ikkyu now (AUSKF, MWKF) but he was able to locate a couple of Japanese Yudansha in the St. Louis community who are now active in the St. Louis club and that has been a big help. They are great people to play with.

DCPan
10th January 2003, 17:17
Originally posted by Ookami-shinkage
I would be really dedicated.
I do, however, have a lack of self-esteem when it comes to the fact that I am already a young adult, and I did not start my training early.

Well, driving 4 hours for practice isn't that unheard of. I know people that sit on 2+hr train rides (one-way) everyweekend. One of my kendo senseis drive 3hr (one-way) acrss the country to train every weekend as well. It all depends on how much it means to you.

As for starting as young adult, Team Canada's Matt Raymond didn't start until he was in college. 10 yrs later, he's Team Canada.

My sensei started around the age of 30 and just got his 7th dan in Japan and wrote about his experience in Kendo World magazine.

In short, none of this is an obstacle, if you want it.

CEB
10th January 2003, 17:24
Unfortunantely in the Midwest driving long distances for training seems to the norm as opposed to the exception. :(

If you live in a community that has a kendo dojo or an authentic kobudo school consider yourself very lucky. I am one of the lucky ones I only drive an hour and half one way for class.

Ric Flinn
10th January 2003, 17:35
There's iai and kenjutsu in Kansas City, which I believe is a little closer. Check out www.jinmukan.com.

Ookami-shinkage
11th January 2003, 13:57
Thank you guys! But one thing... My car would not possibly make it to St. Louis every weekend.
I do not have a steady job, so I barely get by with gasoline.
About transfering, that I might do.
I was wondering if there were any schools in Lawrence Kansas? That is where my two cousins live. They go to Kansas University. My first pick would be to either transfer there, or Warensburg.

I don't think Lawrence is that far from KC, so that might be a plus. I checked out that Nippon Budo Jinmukan site, Mr. Flin.
That looks very interesting.
I might not respond too quick, as I have just got all four of my wisdom teeth cut out, and I have been laying down alot. The pain medicine which (I don't think I need, because of course my mouth hurts, but not that much.) is a form of a narcotic, and it makes be drowsy and bit tipsy and dizzy :(

I will however, check the forum every so often.
Some guy told me I should check into "Hiten Mitsugiri ryu" battou-jutsu but I looked and looked and I could not find any koryu of that name.. Does anyone know about it?

Anyway, take care! I am going to sleep now. I will check the forum again in a few hours.

-Sean(Ookami)

Ookami-shinkage
11th January 2003, 14:40
What is the difference between Iaijutsu and Iaido?

Soulend
11th January 2003, 17:10
I think whoever mentioned "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu" (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/7767/) is pulling your leg. Or maybe they need to lay off the anime. I'm not touching the iaido/iaijutsu question ;) Check out http://www.ii.uib.no/~kjartan/swordfaq/ on that one...

Chidokan
11th January 2003, 19:39
Just try and make a start. I'm sure a lot of the people who are on these forums were like myself 25 years ago and had to travel a long time to get anywhere to train. I now teach in my little backwoods area in the U.K. so hopefully you might do the same later on!
If you cant go all the time, ask the teacher to give you something to focus on until you can make it back again. Its usually fairly easy for you to find a place locally to practise as often as you can. If you are lucky someone will see you training and you may find someone to share the travel costs with!
Later on when you have the cash/transport/new job you will find it easier. Think of the training you can do now as money in the bank for later on in life!

Tim Hamilton

Ookami-shinkage
11th January 2003, 21:17
I think whoever mentioned "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu" is pulling your leg. Or maybe they need to lay off the anime.
LOL!
It seems as though some people have a hard time distinguishing fantasy from real life... The person who told me that actually thought that was a real battou-jutsu koryu... It is sad, eh?
Well he is a good guy and all, a bit on the odd side, but still.
Anyway, as for the Iado/Iaijutsu, I think I understand. Thanks.