PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Start in 10 Days!!!

Bob Steinkraus
28th August 2000, 18:21
Who do you like to win?

I am betting on Shinohara over Douillet in the heavyweights, and I expect this to be a good Olympics for the Japanese.

Jimmy Pedro has a good shot at a medal for the USA.

NBC has said no judo on TV unless an American makes it to the gold medal match, so I think Pedro is our best bet.

Whaddya think?

Joseph Svinth
29th August 2000, 06:26
Assuming all television executives think the same way as the North Americans, I'm betting you will see quite a bit of judo on Dutch, French, Japanese, Korean, and Russian TV.

William F. Kincaid
29th August 2000, 07:05
:D Very Funny Joe but well placed :D
I seriously doubt NBC would even show it if we got to the gold medal round it might cut in with the life history of the 14yr. old gymnists or swimmers. It seems NBC's coverage of the Olympics has been less than appealing to say the least. I watched the Atlanta Olympics when they were on.......oh what a big Joke it was. But hey got to know all about the lives of the US Gymnastics team...as well as the female basketball team while at the cost of some good events like fencing and Judo. lol

Needless to say this olympics......I will be watching something important.......it will be either paint drying or grass growing.:rolleyes:

MarkF
29th August 2000, 10:05
Actually, isn't the Olympic Games actually the post-games of the IOCs games of the last four years?

OK, if you want to see judo, I would be watching MSNBC or CNBC. Of course, there is also pay-TV which had the only judo coverage in 1996 (anybody remember that long shot of six matches on the screen at once?). That is the only way there will be coverage. There is no reason they will show it this year, as coverage has been slipping since 1972, and that was because the judo coach was one of those who was slaughtered.

A couple of months ago, Jason Morris looked fat, slow, and completely bone-headed, as he demonstrated some throws with Pedro. Pedro may medal, but do not look for great things if he gets into the repechages. He doesn't like bronze it seems. He can be absolutely brilliant, but once he realizes he isn't in the medal hunt anymore, he can look ouright bored, and if the players are bored, well...?

Actually, I would rather watch Jimmy's Dad compete. He played when I did, before judo was officially an Olympic sport.

Unless the Japanese can come up with someone like Yamashita (the one from the eighties), they can play the kokanut games as well as anyone now, as that was how many of the medal matches were won in 1996. Ya think Joe may be right about who is going to win the gold? The entire team went to France to get ready.

I have to watch Track as I have a friend who is competing, so I will probably be centered on those games instead.

Tonya Easton
2nd September 2000, 02:40
Does anyone know if there will be a way to access the matches using direct TV? Can we buy an extra "olympics" package or something?

MarkF
2nd September 2000, 07:47
Hi, Tonya,
You might check through the IJF website, USjudo, or NBC. I know they sold a package for the Atlanta Games, but it probably wasn't worth it. They attempted to entice you with faraway shots of six mats at once, so I would be careful. The websites in question are: http://www.ijf.org , http://www.usjudo.org, and the NBC has an Olympic site at http://www.nbcolympics.com . Here, wait for the page to load, and on the left, check judo as your favorite sport. They and HBO may have information.

Good luck!
Mark

Tonya Easton
2nd September 2000, 13:40
Thanks Mark.:)