PDA

View Full Version : Battou-jutsu koryu

Ookami-shinkage
12th January 2003, 19:28
I am trying to find what ryu of Battou-jutsu would fit me..
Excuse me if I might sound ignorant. ;)
I want to condition myself mainly in speed.
I 'MIGHT' want to try something that would have a few skills in niten kenjutsu (two weapon fighting)
But I am mainly interested in something that focuses on the drawing and cutting of the sword, but also something that has other skills... I am sorry if what I am saying is not clear, because I do not really know what to say, but mainly, I want something that includes battou-jutsu, ken-jutsu, iaido/iai-jutsu, and some niten (sword and wakizashi paired) fighting techniques.

Once I figure out what koryu I want to study, I will try and find a place... The main important thing to me is finding the style I want, and then finding a location... I don't want to move far from home, but the style is still of most importance to me.

Charles Mahan
13th January 2003, 15:13
Well. Batto has essentially the same meaning as Iai, so you have quite a few things to choose from.

I would also encourage you to let go of the speed element while you are looking. In most systems, speed takes a back seat to timing and accuracy. It is more important to hit your target, than it is to strike first. This means that at the lower levels of practice, most Iai is going to look pretty slow, because the instructor is focusing on the details that go into making faster movements work.

While there isn't any two sword work, I would encourage you to look into Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Not sure where you are located, but you might find quality instruction nearby.

If you are truly willing to relocated, there is a 7th dan kyoshi(kyoshi is a teaching certification) located in Denton, Tx(Just north of Dallas). Ray-sensei's dojo is a member dojo of the MJER Seitokai, the only Seitokai dojo in the states. As for Kenjutsu, it has been said that Iai is any cut that starts with the blade inside the saya. Any cut that starts from outside of the saya is kenjutsu, so I think we have you covered there as well.

You can learn more about Ray-sensei and MJER at http://www.dentondojo.com

Charles Mahan
13th January 2003, 15:24
I just checked into your profile and noticed your were in college. Denton can also offer you no less than 2 universities. UNT and TWU. Despite the name, Texas Women's University does accept male students. I am told that our rates for out of state students are better than some other states in state rates.

Check it out.

http://www.unt.edu
http://www.twu.edu

Ookami-shinkage
13th January 2003, 21:25
I am not really wanting to move, but thank you, and I will check into MJER.

chrismoses
13th January 2003, 22:14
Here in lies the problem. This was the same on Bugei's web site. You ask a bunch of questions about how to go about learning sword arts, then ignore the responses. Look, the only proven way to learn the sword is to find a teacher and study with them for a long time. You've already stated that there aren't any teachers in your area, and that you can't commute several hours to train. That leaves you with the option of moving. If you're that serious you'll do it, and if not you won't. I can't figure out what you're after on these boards. It seems like you're hoping someone will point you to a tome of wisdom, or a secret Japanese hermit living in the woods near your house. Sorry, there isn't a book or video you can buy, and there aren't any hermits living in your neighborhood who you can become a deciple to. If you're going to ask for advice, at some point you're going to have to take it or stop asking questions. I suppose you will take this as an unprovoked attack on you personally, but someone needs to make this clear to you. The only way to learn is with a teacher, you can adjust your life so that you can study with a teacher, or you can learn something else. Messing around with bokken in the backyard is more likely to teach you bad habits or get you injured than prepare you for the day when you finally meet your master. Rant mode off.

Charles Mahan
13th January 2003, 22:50
Originally posted by Ookami-shinkage
I am not really wanting to move, but thank you, and I will check into MJER.

My apologies. I missed the bit at the end where you said you didn't wanna move far from home.

Well in that case. Find out what is available, post it online and ask which we think is the best suited to your desires. There really isn't much else we can help you with.

Ookami-shinkage
13th January 2003, 23:54
Christian, I am here to learn, and if you have nothing nice to say to me, then please be curteous and just ignore me. I am sorry for whatever I have done to influence you to insult me, and if you have a problem with me, you can e-mail me and hopefully we can sort this out in a reasonable manner.

Soulend
13th January 2003, 23:57
As I mentioned on one of the Bugei threads, legitimate kenjutsu/iai sensei are few and far between in the West. A person may originally want to learn batto, but unless he is willing (and able) to make the commitment to seek out a sensei of this specific art - even if it means moving across the country (or even to Japan), then he will often wind up practicing the art which is available. If there is nothing available, then one will simply have to move or scrap the whole idea. Unfortunately it ain't like Burger King - you can't have it your way.

http://www.koryu.com/library/dlowry7.html

I don't see Mr. Moses' comments as being an insult. It seemed a plainly put and accurate observation. You mentioned in the other thread that you were considering transferring schools (unless I'm mistaken), and Mr. Mahan offered some schools to which you could transfer and have the opportunity to train. Then you said you don't want to move. Well, if there's nothing close to Sedalia, and you don't want to move, then I guess that pretty much is the end of that idea, no?

Ookami-shinkage
14th January 2003, 00:02
Originally posted by Charles Mahan

My apologies. I missed the bit at the end where you said you didn't wanna move far from home.

Well in that case. Find out what is available, post it online and ask which we think is the best suited to your desires. There really isn't much else we can help you with.

No problem, It is not just that I do not want to move, but it is that I cannot for various reasons.

I do, however, hope to find a teacher close to me, because there has got to be someone around...

Damn! Too bad that old Japanese hermit secretly living in my downstairs closet that noone knows about doesn't know kenjutsu! Wouldn't that be great if he did?! :D

Sadly, he only knows how to make paper cranes and sculptures of naked women out of earwax... *sigh* ;)

Ookami-shinkage
14th January 2003, 00:07
Originally posted by Soulend
As I mentioned on one of the Bugei threads, legitimate kenjutsu/iai sensei are few and far between in the West. A person may originally want to learn batto, but unless he is willing (and able) to make the commitment to seek out a sensei of this specific art - even if it means moving across the country (or even to Japan), then he will often wind up practicing the art which is available. If there is nothing available, then one will simply have to move or scrap the whole idea. Unfortunately it ain't like Burger King - you can't have it your way.

http://www.koryu.com/library/dlowry7.html

Someday I will be able to travel.. Just not right now.
I really don't care what style I practice now, just as long as I can start at something to learn... Of course, I would want to finish my training in that before I went onto something else, but the fact remains, that I do not know when I will be able to move.. In order to travel or move, I have to have money, and in order to have money, I need a good job, and in order to get a good job, I need to goto school. ;)

Enfield
14th January 2003, 00:44
I do, however, hope to find a teacher close to me, because there has got to be someone around... No, there doesn't.

Of course, I would want to finish my training in that before I went onto something else.This made me chuckle. "Sensei, when am I going to be done?"

stevemcgee99
14th January 2003, 08:27
It seems that you've got the idea of an experienced budoka, who is actually capable of teaching, "should" be somewhere near you. Is there a relatively large population of Japanese where you live? Is that reflected in stores and markets and video places catering to japanese? If so, that would increase the chances. Not all qualified to instruct koryu arts are japanese however.

The next assumption seems to be that anyone qualified is interested in teaching you. It probably wouldn't be personal. Their commitment would need to be pretty high, too, you know. What evidence of dogged determination to you have to show for yourself when you finally get a chance to make a first impression on a potential sensei? A dan rank in another art? I've heard that goes over well.

Have you asked ALL of the people you know in gendai arts about the presence of koryu in your area? I don't think anyone on this BB is the expert on your neighborhood's sensei population. Or, if there is one, did you try the local buddhist temple or japanese cultural center?

You say you can't travel. Are you different from everyone else? Or, is it that you have other commitments that you've prioritized for the time being, like many others ( me, for instance). Long commutes are a drag, for sure, but are they worth it? That's nothing but a personal decision.

And, you really don't need a lot of money to travel. Really, is everyone travelling wealthy? No.

What's most improtant to you? Obviously, koryu isn't. Is that OK? Maybe you don't know what's most important to you, and that's why you're on this thread, trying to figure it out. If koryu was, you'd drop everything else easily, because they wouldn't be THE priority. Maybe you do know what is most important to you, and that's why you aren't studying TSKSR in Japan already. My question is, if something is holding you back from going for it and joining the perfect dojo for you, are you OK with that? Or, do you think that with this situation, like all of life's growing pains, you'll shift your values?

Ookami-shinkage
14th January 2003, 09:50
Mr McGee,

I do, believe it or not, have alot of determination, but there are reasons I actully cannot move, that I would rather not say.
If I had no money, I could not pay for transportation, a place to stay when I get to my destination, food, medicine, insurance, ect. ect. ect.

And there are a few Japanese cultural places around, especially in Warensburg, Missouri, which is 20 miles from me. (I think I can travel 20 miles to train. ;) ) and that is why I assumed that there should be someone around.... And Warensburg is a college town.. Actually, it is a university town, so alot of people live there.

gendzwil
14th January 2003, 14:05
And there are a few Japanese cultural places around, especially in Warensburg, Missouri, which is 20 miles from me. (I think I can travel 20 miles to train. ;) ) and that is why I assumed that there should be someone around.... And Warensburg is a college town.. Actually, it is a university town, so alot of people live there.
You can assume a 99.9999% probability of there being no legitimate koryu around you. There isn't even any kendo in Missouri that I'm aware of. We're not being insulting, we're just being realistic. If you want to train, you'll have to move. If you can't move, you'll have to put off training for a while. If you want the sort of choices in training you mention, your best bet is to move to Japan.

Here's a long-range plan for you: finish college, try to learn some Japanese while you're doing it, then apply to teach english in Japan through JET or some similar program. That will put you right in Japan with a job and a place to live. Then you can look for some koryu near you. Warning: even in Japan, there might be nothing where you live. Certainly it will be a limited choice unless you're in a large centre.

Try www.koryu.com for more articles and information.

Ookami-shinkage
14th January 2003, 16:14
Originally posted by gendzwil

You can assume a 99.9999% probability of there being no legitimate koryu around you. There isn't even any kendo in Missouri that I'm aware of. We're not being insulting, we're just being realistic. If you want to train, you'll have to move. If you can't move, you'll have to put off training for a while. If you want the sort of choices in training you mention, your best bet is to move to Japan.

Here's a long-range plan for you: finish college, try to learn some Japanese while you're doing it, then apply to teach english in Japan through JET or some similar program. That will put you right in Japan with a job and a place to live. Then you can look for some koryu near you. Warning: even in Japan, there might be nothing where you live. Certainly it will be a limited choice unless you're in a large centre.

Try www.koryu.com for more articles and information.

That is what I will do then. ;)
I have always wanted to see Japan... And I want to move there someday.
Thank you for telling me about the option of teaching English! I never thought of that. I have been learning Japanese, so I will look into that when I am able to move. :D

dferland
1st May 2014, 21:15
I'm not sure if you still live in Sedalia, Missouri or are still looking for a koryu art. I've been in Sedalia for the past 4 years and discovered an instructor living in this area who teaches Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu Battou-Jutsu, as well as other samurai arts. If you are interested in receiving more information, you can contact me via email: ferlandd@gmail.com. Thanks.

Dan

gendzwil
1st May 2014, 22:04
Wow, 11 year old thread resurrection. This has to be some sort of record.

Brian Owens
2nd May 2014, 05:12
Wow, 11 year old thread resurrection. This has to be some sort of record.
Wow, indeed. This thread originates from about the time I joined the forum; it's certainly the longest thread necromancy I've seen. I'm hoping the OP -- who is now on "Guest" status here -- has long since finished his college days and gone on to wherever his path has lead.

khameleon59
3rd May 2014, 10:28
The dates definitely caught me off guartd. I thought I was reading a recent post due in part to the latest responses. As I was reading this I was thinking to myself that this has been the most active post I have seen recently in a long time. In the end I hope that guest is now a member and has traveled the path he/she most desired.
---NOTE 2 THE MODERATORS---
do not delete this post EVER! I want to see this post around in the year 2024 for the next ressurection. lol!:wave:

hyaku
14th June 2014, 00:28
I guess this post was up before I was even a moderator. Not something I would miss without some sort of response asking him to 'calm down'.