PDA

View Full Version : Is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu really Jeet Kune Do?

Bradenn
13th January 2003, 11:27
In my relatively short time training in Bujinkan, my understanding is that it has evolved during Hatsumi-sensei's lifetime. I have heard many times that techniques or kata are not important, rather the principle is what matters. Also, I have heard that the aim is to free the practitioner from rigid or set techniques. Also, although there are 9 schools in the Bujinkan, the emphasis is no longer on the individual schools but rather on integrating feelings or aspects of each one in order to synthesise taijutsu. Natural movement seems to be the goal.

Well, doesn't this sound an awful lot like Bruce Lee and what he was striving for?

Substitute Gyokko Ryu with Wing Chun, Koto Ryu with Tai Chi, Takagi Yoshin Ryu with wrestling, Shinden Fudo Ryu with boxing , Kukishinden Ryu with Kali, Togakure Ryu with fencing and there it is :)

Bruce Lee also didn't teach say Wing Chun or wrestling as a complete system but rather absorbed what was needed from each one. Sound familiar?

If the techniques are not important and the end goal is to move freely and naturally and spontaneously what is the difference? Are we actually doing Jeet Kune Do without knowing it?

Bradenn
13th January 2003, 11:44
Sorry, the thread title should read "Is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu really Jeet Kune Do?"

O'Neill
13th January 2003, 13:30
Of the 19th Century?

Kevin73
13th January 2003, 18:43
Just thought I would toss in my two cents worth. All of the above opinions are very much right on. Bruce Lee didn't start anything new, he just readopted the old method of how styles were created.

If you look at the history of many of them (styles in which you can trace the actual history and not just myths) they were what what instructor started as a base and then added things from other styles he came in contact with to create his new approach. And more than likely that evolved while he/she was alive. It was only AFTER that person died that the remaining disciples froze it where it was at and said that this is "Style X".

Even look at JKD now, you have the "original jkd" that froze it in time and only teaches what Bruce taught before he died.

Tamdhu
14th January 2003, 16:20
My only nitpik is that Bruce Lee wasn't around long enough (to my way of thinking) for us to see the real maturation of what he was reaching for. It's great that he had the ideal of transcending styles or whatever, but did he really do it?

I don't think we could ever know for sure if Bruce Lee would have become the refined lifetime student that I feel Hatsumi Soke to be, or something else altogether, so I'm hesitant to equate the two too closely.

I do know other Bujinkan seniors, however, who also respect jkd a great deal, and I've never trained in it, so please correct me and flame as needed.

Oni
14th January 2003, 16:35
Its kind of funny that this thread popped up as I am currently rereading the Tao of Jeet kune Do. Particularly in the beginning so many of the things could definitely be applied to Taijutsu. I have never studied with anyone teaching JKD, but from the ideas in that book I can certainly see distinct similarities of thought.

Tamdhu
14th January 2003, 18:26
...DEVELOPED by Dan Inosanto...

Indeed. There's a man I hope to meet and train with some day!

Kamiyama
14th January 2003, 20:37
One thing to remember, and this is my opinion based on knowing people who actually knew Bruce and talking with them. I think Bruce was motivated by fear and his ego! I would never say Hatsumi sensei and Bruce were similar in personality or maturity or understanding etc.. But the "concept" that Bruce started and more so, one DEVELOPED by Dan Inosanto, is VERY close to the "concept" promoted by Hatsumi Sensei.

kamiyama, I agree.

"Is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu really Jeet Kune Do?"

kamiyama, I would say the idea is the same if not close.

"JUN FAN"?

kamiyama, No not at all. Totally different.

"Bruce Lee didn't start anything new, he just readopted the old method of how styles were created".

kamiyama, This is not completely true.

"Particularly in the beginning so many of the things could definitely be applied to Taijutsu".

kamiyama, If I was to state this I would have been burned at the Bujinkan cross.... funny how people think and react to one person and different towards another.. LOL..

kamiyama, ralph severe

Oni
14th January 2003, 20:54
Originally posted by Kamiyama

kamiyama, If I was to state this I would have been burned at the Bujinkan cross.... funny how people think and react to one person and different towards another.. LOL..

kamiyama, ralph severe

Heh...you never know Ralph...they may be heading toward my door with the cross as we speak ;)