PDA

View Full Version : Japanese TV shows worth watching

renfield_kuroda
16th January 2003, 03:35
Here's my favourites:

* Saturday night, 11:30 pm, "Koi-no karasawagi" (Much Ado About Love)
Sanma-san and 30 young women talk trash about guys, girls, love, life, etc. It's absolutely brilliant, and every year they do a high school girl special, wife special, and a foreign-women special.

* Wed nights 10pm "Wannai" http://www.fujitv.co.jp/jp/b_hp/wannairr/
a bunch of young comedy groups including Ameagarikesshitai, DonDokoDon, and Garage Sale, do a few mad skits with long-running characters. The SNL of Japan!

* Sunday nights 8pm, "Warau-inu" http://www.fujitv.co.jp/jp/b_hp/warau-j/ Now in it's 3rd season, this WAS the SNL of Japan, with Unchan/Nanchan, Neptune, and others doing some mad skits with some hilarious characters. Not as funny now, but it still has its moments.

Regards,

renfield kuroda

Exorcist_Fist
16th January 2003, 04:00
There is no single show I like in Japan, I just like skits from here or there.

Favorite skits:

The Bl@ckmail. Cell phone messaging is used to set up a boyfriend or girlfriend to see if they are truly faithful. They had a geinojin special series that was outrageous.

Gorie?... Comedian dresses up as big breasted high school girl and battles her arch-enemy, Koike Eiko, for the love of her fiance. On the same show, sometimes on the same skit, they have "Kuruma Kuruma Kuruma, kuruma mitsu de, Todoroki!" as the Schwarzenneger worshipping gay man. The one were he competed in pride was extra funny.

Drunk Salariman survey. They take two dead drunk salarimen off the street, and ask them a question. They have to call use a pay phone and call someone to get the answer. Sometimes this one is depressing.

Sasuke: Its on once a year. Its a sports challenge trying to replicate the legendary feats of ninja Sanada Sasuke.

(Insert kanji here)baka: Show where couples air out their complaints against each other in pseudo Jerry springer fashion.

Thats about it. I do occasionally watch much ado about love, but only for the hotties.

Daniel Lee
16th January 2003, 04:58
Yeah, Wannai and Karakuri Terebi crack me up too..

Gakkou e Ikou (http://www.tbs.co.jp/gakkou/) also has some of the funniest comedy rappers i've seen, and takes the p*ss out of technopop group Globe's Mark Panther. They also have this segment on making Tsugaru-ben, one of Japan's most incomprehensible dialects, cool - good luck fellas :) I set up the video for those three if i'm out to get my fix.

renfield_kuroda
17th January 2003, 00:55
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention my latest favourite:
BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM!
Comedy team 99 and the other crazies from MechaIke do the kazutori game: they dress up like bad-ass chimpira on crazy motorcycles and play a cool game: first guy says an object, next guy has to count the object correctly, then say an object, next guy has to count it correctly, and the count increases by one every time.
Granted, it's tough to get if you don't speak Japanese, but they come up with some crazy stuff, and they always have a guest on.
And if you blow it, a bunch of sumo wrestlers come out and one of them pounds you into the dirt.
So who knows how to count tansu (dressers), or flying dinosaurs, or rabbits, or Star Wars movies?

Regards,
renfield kuroda