PDA

View Full Version : Should we do Body for Life posts here?

Jody Holeton
19th January 2003, 01:41
Dear all,

All this talk about fat black belts got me thinking!

I know this is e-budo BUT one of the inherent things about budo is getting in shape.

I read this great book a while back called "Body for Life" and I wanted to see what I could accomplish in 3 months from a strict regimen.

I am in Japan so the diet parts are a bit hard but I have a gym and weights!

Any thoughts about me posting my findings here on e-budo?

John Lindsey
19th January 2003, 02:47
Sure, but I moved it this forum...

Rogier
20th January 2003, 06:48
go for it.... remember to take before and after pictures..

UKPatrick
1st February 2003, 23:52
Hi Guys,

sorry for any delay in adding to this one, but I have not been on the site for a few days.
My observations of this particular book (or system) is based on my observations of a colleage at work, who had read the book, and was trying to 'live it'.
I found it quite frightening to see the amount of suppliments he ate, instead of 'real' food. His main meal of the day was a milk shake, based on a formula (he said) was recommended in the book.

Perhaps he was overdoing it, but his family (his wife was also on the same diet) was suffering. His son was referred to an educational psychologist, who identified two problems. The sons behaviour, and his parents 'hyperactivity'.

Be carefull, please.

Slightly at a tangent, I am puzzled by Rogiers line re Scotsmen, kilts and sheep.
In general, here in England, we would accus eScotsmen of being 'tight' with money, but trust them with our sheep. It's the Welch we worry about, as they are reputedly into sheep worryinmg.

Patrick

3rd February 2003, 17:19
Patrick,
I am surprised to hear of your friend... The book only says to use a MRP (meal replacement shake) as a conveniance, not to actually replace whole food.

FWIW, the BFL diet is considered a 'low-fat' diet as fats should constitute only 20% of your diet. I have been using a diet similar to BFL for over a year and also use MRP's (only one or two per day) as it is easy to make when I'm at work. I did 'tweak' the diet and ingest more fat, while reducing my protein/carb intake. Having said that, I eat four meal per day aside from my MRP's that are whole foods.

I also take supplements, and usually recommend for people to take them as well. Most active individuals do not get enough vitamins and minerals (not to mention EFA's) in their regular diet. So, I generally recommend a Multi-Vitamin, Omega-3 (fish oil capsules) and Omega-6 (flax seed oil), along with ZMA(Zinc, Magnesium and B16) and Glutamine (the latter two for recovery).

Steven

ErikH
14th February 2003, 06:39
Nuked!

Want to give a better response than I did.