PDA

View Full Version : Shinden Fudo Ryu Question

BigJon
21st January 2003, 04:45
Ok, this post ties in with a few other relevant ones from e-budo. I was watching the 1998 US Tai Kai tape today.(SFR) I noticed the really long heavy sword that was used...I have also heard people talk about "specialty" swords for each of the schools in the Bujinkan.
My question is dealing with formal sword kata for the school. Are there any? I remember reading on e-budo that Tanemura sensei is training in Shinden Fudo ryu Iaijutsu...how closely connected are these branches?(If at all?) Does the Iai branch have any dakentaijutsu/taijutsu in it's teachings?

Thanks,

Jon Gillespie

BigJon
21st January 2003, 18:02
It's really pathetic when I have to reply to my own posts!Lol!

Surely somebody knows something of this? Well I replied to it to see if I could generate more Ninpo students to see it...sort of like a bartender putting a dollar in his OWN tip jar to generate cash...we shall see.

Jon Gillespie

George Kohler
21st January 2003, 21:29
Originally posted by Jon G.
I remember reading on e-budo that Tanemura sensei is training in Shinden Fudo ryu Iaijutsu...how closely connected are these branches...

Hi Jon,

From what I understand from John Lindsey, the iai school is not connected at all to SFR taijutsu or SFR dakentaijutsu. I think he said it's was connected to MJSR or MSR iai.

BigJon
21st January 2003, 21:31
Interesting, thanks George! Do you know about the history of the large sword in the dakentaijutsu ryu, and if there any sword kata?
(I have seen/practiced defensive technique against daisho, but am unaware of "formal kata" for sword-but that's not surprising. Like some of our shihan say..."Oh you haven't seen this before, stick around!")

Jon Gillespie

George Kohler
21st January 2003, 21:48
Sorry Jon,

I don't know anything about the large sword. For what it's worth, the BRDJ does not list anything other than Daken for Hatsumi sensei's school. It did list several things (Ken-sword, Ju, Ken-fist, bo, etc) for SFR that was given to Ueno Takashi. If I remember correctly (I'm at work right now, so I don't have the source with me) Ueno sensei's school also had iai listed. It could be that The sword stuff that Hatsumi sensei teaches comes from this school instead of SFR dakentaijutsu. As you may know, Hatsumi sensei did receive a license from Ueno sensei for this school.

BigJon
21st January 2003, 22:03
I am guessing Hatsumi sensei has forgotten more than I could hope to learn...:) (In this lifetime...)

If you dig up more information, please let me know! I do remember that when watching the quest title SFR from sensei, there is mention that the first soke, "may have been the originator of Iai..."

but who knows?

Jon Gillespie

Gaidin
23rd January 2003, 12:05
J,
What did your sensei say when you asked him this question? You did ask him or one of the senior students, who might have been at that Tai Kai, didn't you? :idea:

See you in class next week,
Brian Ferrenz

BigJon
23rd January 2003, 17:49
Actually, he was the one of the hosts of that tai kai. I have been training with one of his student instructors since new years.(Due to school) But he is the one who sparked my interest in the Big sfr sword style. I do think that some shihan have the attitude,: "Why worry about who did what 400 hundred years ago? Learn to defend yourself first!"

Jon Gillespie

Filip Poffe
24th January 2003, 18:32
Dear Jon,

Perhaps you can find some answers here too :
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11713&highlight=suzuki+shinden+fudo

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11707&highlight=suzuki+shinden+fudo

Unless you already knew ...

All the best,