PDA

View Full Version : Daito ryu & Esoteric Buddhism (Mikkyo)

O'Neill
21st January 2003, 18:02
Do the teachings of Mikkyo come to play in daito ryu?

Nathan Scott
21st January 2003, 21:44
[Post deleted by user]

Ron Tisdale
22nd January 2003, 13:58
I always thought the chinkon kisshin was from the Omoto side of the art. Is this a mistaken impression? Are there references to this in the Kojiki?

Ron Tisdale

kokumo
22nd January 2003, 20:49
Originally posted by Nathan Scott

I have come across references to "Chikon Kisshin", which is a pyramid shaped finger knitting posture that is used in one form of seated meditation.

Originally posted by Ron Tisdale

I always thought the chinkon kisshin was from the Omoto side of the art. Is this a mistaken impression? Are there references to this in the Kojiki?

Gentleman--

I think part of the confusion on topics like this comes from that fact that roman letters allow for capitalization and the kana/kanji representational system does not.

So....there is the class of "chinkon kishin." One form of chinkon kishin uses a funny hand shape as part of a seated meditation practice. That would be some particular lineage's Chinkon Kishin. And the presence of those funny hand shapes in a particular lineage would be a strong clue that the lineage, however it represents itself, had some historical connection with esoteric Buddhism.

Oomoto, like many other forms of shinto, has a method (or methods) of chinkon kishin. It also has documented modern connections with Shingon Buddhism; Yamasaki Taiko's book on Shingon was published under the collaborative sponsorship of the late art collector David Kidd and Oomoto.

You can be reasonably sure that if someone is using the phrase "chinkon kishin" that their practice is, at least overtly, shinto, as opposed to being overtly Buddhist, or Daoist, or Confucian.

But because "chinkon kishin" practices are often transmitted person to person among laymen, you are also dealing with something that is individual, idiosyncratic, and not easily reducible to a single practice that exists in variant lineages.

Actually, there's a Ph.D. in East Asian religion waiting for the first person to assemble the basic material necessary to start developing that sort of coherent analysis.

Fred Little

Nathan Scott
22nd January 2003, 20:58
[Post deleted by user]

Don Cunningham
22nd January 2003, 21:02
I thought mikkyo were the shrine maidens dressed in the red-and-white robes at Shinto shrines. :)

elder999
22nd January 2003, 23:00
Quote:"I thought mikkyo were the shrine maidens dressed in the red-and-white robes at Shinto shrines."

I think that's "miko."

George Kohler
22nd January 2003, 23:08
Originally posted by elder999
I think that's "miko."

I think he was joking.

elder999
22nd January 2003, 23:31
Oh.....I knew that. :rolleyes: (I don't have a blushing smiley!)

George Kohler
22nd January 2003, 23:49
Originally posted by elder999
Oh.....I knew that. :rolleyes: (I don't have a blushing smiley!)

Here is one for you :o

Don Cunningham
23rd January 2003, 00:00
Oops! I thought the smiley face was a clear indication. Then again, the joke sounds a lot better than it reads.