PDA

View Full Version : Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts?

CEB
21st August 2001, 14:36
Hello

I workout with an aikijujutsu dojo once a week. One of the students is a young person who has just graduated from college and is going to be moving to Baltimore to take a job. The student wants to continue studying aikibudo. I told sensei that I thought I recalled hearing of a Daito Ryu study group in Baltimore and would e-mail him any contact info. I could find and he could pass it on to his student. He said he would appreciate that. From what I could gather from old e-budo post the study group is headed by a Sensei Goss and the group can be contacted at:

Aikido Martial Arts Institute
8620 D Belair Road
Perry Hall, Maryland 21236
USA
Tel: 410-529-5222
Fax: 410-529-7568
mailto:aikido@charm.net

Could someone from the Baltimore study group please confirm whether or not this info is correct before I pass it on. Thanks in advance for any consideration on this matter.

C. E. Boyd

Ron Tisdale
21st August 2001, 18:57
Yes, I believe that information is all correct. I attend the seminars by Kondo Sensei, but I am not a member of the study group. I can, however, strongly recommend the training that is undertaken there. They are a great group of people, very welcoming, and it is always a pleasure to go there to train. Goss Sensei is one of my favorite people to train with.

Their web page seems to be down just now, I'll check it over the next few days, and if it comes back up, I'll post the link (no need to proliferate links that don't work).

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
21st August 2001, 20:52
Ok, here is the current link for Goss Sensei's dojo:

http://www.aikimartialarts.com/

Hope this helps...you should be able to confirm all information here.

RT

CEB
21st August 2001, 22:03
Thanks Mr. Tisdale you have been a big help.

Kendoguy9
24th August 2001, 06:00
Hello C.E. and Ron,

Sorry I have been slacking on my duities as the Daito-ryu study group web guy, but I have been very busy planning my trip to Tokyo and getting ready for my fall classes etc.

Yes we do have Daito-ryu aikijujutsu here in Baltimore and yes the address is the one Ron listed. We are no longer Aikido Martial Arts Institute, but rather Aiki Martial Arts Institute. The name change (as I understand it) is two fold. First, because we practice aikijujutsu as well as aikido the name Aikido M.A.I. just doesn't cut it anymore. Second I think it is to reflect the new nature of the dojo. We were recently granted Non-Profit status and with the new direction, it seems like a good idea for a (slightly) new name. Call up Goss sensei I'm sure he can explain that part better then I can :).

As for the training, we are the only Daito-ryu study group that is authorized by Menkyo Kaiden holder Kondo Katsuyuki in the USA. Mr. Kondo is the only person to receive a Menkyo Kaiden from the late soke Takeda Tokimune, thus making him the highest ranked person in mainline Daito-ryu. We here in Baltimore practice the Ikkajo section, the first thirty techniques for the Hiden Mokuroku. We train every Tues and Thurs night from 7:30 pm until 8:30 pm. The class size ranges from 2 people all the way to about 15, with an average of about 6. Anyone and everyone is welcome to stop by during class and join in. There is a small mat fee of $10 for non members to help cover costs.

It is a good idea for everyone who can, to start training now because Mr. Kondo will be here in Oct. You might be able to get more out of his seminar if you have an early start. Also please remember to sign up early. We like to get an idea of how many people will be attending the seminar.

C.E. if you would like, please have your friend email me personally or the dojo from the website Ron so kindly posted. We are always happy to have new training partners.

gambatte!!!

stanley neptune
21st January 2003, 18:41
Can anyone recommend an aikijujutsu dojo in Massachusetts?Specifically in Boston or the North Shore of Boston area?

Stanley Neptune

Nathan Scott
21st January 2003, 22:02
Mr. Neptune,

I hope you don't mind, but I renamed your thread and moved it to the appropriate forum. You should get more responses here.

The only dojo that comes to mind near Boston is:

Aikido Martial Arts Institute
http://www.aikimartialarts.com

The Aikido teacher is John Goss Sensei, but they are currently well known for their Daito ryu mainline study group.

Regards,

Mark Jakabcsin
22nd January 2003, 12:34
Stanley,
Actually I think the dojo that Nathan lists is located in Baltimore not Boston. Buy hey it starts with a 'B'. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for AJJ in Boston.

mark

Cady Goldfield
22nd January 2003, 13:44
I live on the North Shore, but unfortunately know jack about aikijujutsu. :p

Nathan Scott
22nd January 2003, 21:04
Oh yeah. Forgot about the Dan & Cady show. Same neck of the woods, huh?

stanley neptune
22nd January 2003, 21:13
Cady,

Do you really know nothing about AJJ or are you joking?

Stanley Neptune

Cady Goldfield
22nd January 2003, 22:40
No, I really know jack quite well. However, I do train with Dan, who knows considerably more than jack or me. E-mail me privately through the Private Message option (you didn't set one up for yourself).

Dan Harden
10th February 2003, 11:53
Nathan Writes

Oh yeah. Forgot about the Dan & Cady show. Same neck of the woods, huh?

I'm not sure what a "Dan and Cady show" is, nor what I have to do with it.
My Dojo is closed to outsiders and I am not interested in teaching anyone, anything, of any kind. I only wish to train with those who like to train.

There are lots of people claiming to teach Aikijujutsu here in Mass they're in the phone book and they advertise their wares in the likes of Black Belt magazine. Look them up and be a part of the new Aikijujtsu movement in the U.S.!!!! -Aikido called Aikijujutsu. That's what they look like to me.

Dan

Cady Goldfield
10th February 2003, 14:16
Nor do I. Mr. Neptune lives in Mass. I asked him to e-mail me privately to take it offline, which he did. He was interested in the difference between aikido and aikijujutsu, and inquired about local dojo. We discussed the Shodokan dojo in Salem, which offers aikido and judo, as a possibility. I also told Mr. Neptune that the aikijujutsu dojo referred to indirectly by Nathan is closed.

I was just surprised to see someone in the area posting on the forum. Mr. Neptune lives the next town over from me. Small world.

stanley neptune
10th February 2003, 14:42
Cady and Dan

Please do not associate me with Nathan. I do not know him. I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone. Especially Cady who was kind enough to answer my questions via private message.

My inquiries are legitimate as I believe there is an over abundance of commercial dojos and a dirth of valid traditional AJJ in the Northeast in general. I am just looking for quality instruction. In fact I would prefer to train in a club atmosphere but those are few and far between.

Stanley Neptune

Nathan Scott
10th February 2003, 19:55
Holy cow, lighten up guys!! Why would you think to take my comment the wrong way? Sorry if I hit some kind of nerve.

Also, I didn't know that you (Dan's) dojo was closed to new students. I had simply forgoten logistically that you guys were in "the same neck of the woods".

What happened to that thick skin?

Mr. Neptune, I wouldn't want to be associated with me either if I had a choice, but good luck to you anyway!

(shrug)

stanley neptune
10th February 2003, 20:04
Nathan,

I meant no disrespect to you either big fella. In fact I don't even know you which is why I said I am not associated with you.

Stanley Neptune

Cady Goldfield
10th February 2003, 20:11
Isn't it great that so many people who totally don't know each other can get to not know each other even better on these forums?

Dan Harden
10th February 2003, 21:51
Nathan

Hey you. Talk about needing a thick skin!
I have no issues there big fella..;) I just couldn't resist the "Dan and Cady" show comment. I mean, did you expect me to let that opener slide? I should have put a smiley face next to it though-since I was laughing when I wrote it.
Anyway
I just didn't want anyone knockin at my door or researching a dead end. I wanted to let the archive searchers know that they won't find anything here with me. I didn't bring me up, nor did I answer the thread. Since I WAS brought up- I wanted to put any rumours to rest.

There are lots of guys who want to teach people and any martial art searchers should go there...I just don't know where "that" would be in Mass.

Keep smilin Bud
Dan

Nathan Scott
10th February 2003, 22:18
You know, I've been thinking about this, and it occured to me that this is the first time I've been called "Big Fella".

:)

Dan Harden
10th February 2003, 22:39
Isn't it great that so many people who totally don't know each other can get to not know each other even better on these forums?

Hey Cady
I don't know anyone I don't know, though I may guess that I don't know them but I don't know for sure that I don't know them. But there are some people I don't know that I swear I have figured out but I don't know for sure. Though I must admit that there are those I know who claim to this day that I really don't know them at all. This of course always makes me say "If you don't know that I know you by this time then you obviously don't know me at all.
Know what I mean?
Then again one of my favorite songs is
"If you don't know me by now-you will never, ever know me....oooohh

mumble mumble
Dan

P.S. hey.....Does anyone know any Aikijujutsu dojo in Mass. that doesn't look like Aikido with punches?
We should start a thread.

Arthur
11th February 2003, 15:45
P.S. hey.....Does anyone know any Aikijujutsu dojo in Mass. that doesn't look like Aikido with punches?

As far as people who use the term Aiki Ju Jutsu... can't think of any off the top of my head. However there are people in Mass who call their art something else, though in form and principle it is essentially Aiki Ju Jutsu.

Wes tasker teaches Tenshin Shintai Ryu and the empty hands portion contains plenty of Aiki (the AJJ kind not the Aikido kind).

Jigme Daniels of the Aiki Budokai teaches methods which contain AJJ style Aiki.

I teach Systema and while its certainly not AJJ, significant parts of the art are very similar to Shidare Yanagi Ryu AJJ.

There are probably others.

Arthur

H3resy
11th February 2003, 18:17
http://www.renrikan.com/

This guy teaches AJJ in South Boston.
I went to see a class once. It was okay. I am not sure about the history or instructor though as I am not a practitioner.

Nathan Scott
11th February 2003, 18:49
The Renrikan is apparently affiliated with Tony Annesi, who has been brought up previously in this forum. He seems to have based his art(s) largely off his experience with hosting various well known instructors - including Don Angier - to teach and be taped at his dojo.

Based on a sample tape Annesi sent me, his art seems to be a combination of karate and some degree of aiki waza.

Dan Harden
11th February 2003, 19:55
Don't know of any Aikijujutsu in the Boston area. I can of course compile quite a lengthy list for you of people who think that what they are doing is Aikijujutsu.
There are a couple of people who don't teach publicly,including a highly ranked Japanese fellow. Last I met him he even denied what it was to those he demonstrated to.

Jigme Daniels? Do you mean Jigme's Chobang? He was a student of Anessies as well. Great guy. Tell him I said hi.

cheers
Dan

Arthur
11th February 2003, 20:09
I can of course compile quite a lengthy list for you of people who think that what they are doing is Aikijujutsu.
Sounds interesting. If your really willing to sit down and write it... it could be a lengthy project;-) I'd be interested in seeing it. Though it might be more appropriate as a PM.

Jigme Daniels? Do you mean Jigme's Chobang?
When I knew him it was Daniels. I've seen a post by him signed Chobang, so I guess he's changed his name. Same guy though.

He was a student of Anessies as well.

He was a student of Anessies as well.
Yes he was. He was and is also a student of others too. Hell I was once a student of Annesi's myself. Though it has nothing to with anything I do now.

Great guy. Tell him I said hi.
He rents space at the same place I do, but we're there on different days. If I happen to run into him though, I will.

Oh and concerning Renrikan post above. That's Jim Poli's school. He is a long time student of Annesi's, but he leans heavily to the Aikido side of things (well Aikido on steroids;-))

Arthur

Dan Harden
11th February 2003, 22:19
Jim Polis a nice guy too although when I when I saw him in the eighties and early nineties I considered what he does to be extremely tame. Of course its all just a view but I consider Tony's work to be more Aikido-ish then jujutsu-ish.
Im anss you pretty much have judo, jujutsu, aikido, and mix martial arts. I haven't see Aikijujutsu out in the open here.

cheers
Dan

stanley neptune
12th February 2003, 12:32
Thank you all for this very thoughtful and great discussion. Just thought I would share an interesting discussion I once had. I once asked Bill Gleason, who runs Shobu Aikikai in Brookline, about what Tony Annessi does. Bill replied, "Oh that's ju jitsu." I asked the same question to Ed Melaugh the Small Circle JJ man from Woburn and he said, Oh that's Aikido." Two sides of the same page??

Stanley Neptune

A.J. Bryant
12th February 2003, 17:10
...Speaking of budo in MA, has anyone heard of the Niten Shinto-ryu??

http://home.attbi.com/~Tendokai/index.html

Just curious.

Regards,

Cady Goldfield
12th February 2003, 18:11
From reading the site's description of "Niten no Aikijutsu," it sounds like their "aiki" is more akin to that of aikido than to that of aikijujutsu.

The reference to Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu is interesting. The founding instructor of the school is said to have studied it in Japan and/or Okinawa back in the 1950s. The careful way the information is worded hints that this person could be a legit "shadow" student, but I'm not experienced or informed enough in these things to make an educated guess.

Dan Harden
12th February 2003, 22:02
Thank you all for this very thoughtful and great discussion. Just thought I would share an interesting discussion I once had. I once asked Bill Gleason, who runs Shobu Aikikai in Brookline, about what Tony Annessi does. Bill replied, "Oh that's ju jitsu." I asked the same question to Ed Melaugh the Small Circle JJ man from Woburn and he said, Oh that's Aikido." Two sides of the same page??

Stanley Neptune

Although a good point Stan-if one were asking about jujutsu they would ask jujutsu people. The only thing I can compare it too is Aikido as I used to be one and it looks very much like it. Although there maybe exceptions (i'm sure) I haven't met a jujutsu guy who would call that jujutsu. Hey! Theres nothing wrong with that either. He has a big school with lots of satisfied students. I am told his Karate is good stuff by people who would know. I wouldn't know as I don't know a thing about karate.
BTW its a safe and sane school.

If you see Jigme would you ask him to contact me by prvite email here? He knows how to do it.
Thanks bud
Dan

Dan Harden
13th March 2003, 13:12
My inquiries are legitimate as I believe there is an over abundance of commercial dojos and a dirth of valid traditional AJJ in the Northeast in general.
Stanley Neptune

A dirth of Valid, _TRADITIONAL_ AJJ?
Really?
Who?
There is one in Conn. and none any where else that is known and/or open to the public that I have ever heard of or seen. I find your statement peculiar. What is your definition of valid and Traditional.
There are several Aikido derivitives that pass themselves off as AJJ. How and where does that pass them off as traditional AJJ. Because they have been around for twenty years doing Aikido as AJJ?
Your statement is based on ...what?
The name on the door?

I know some people who went to Systema seminars and watched a video. They may be opening near you. Soon there will be a _dirth_ of System schools. I mean what the heck, they bought a whip, that means its tradtional systema ...er right? I mean there are only so many ways to move right? And I am equally as able as you to judge what an art is or is not just by the name on the door right?

cheers
Dan

Greg Jennings
13th March 2003, 13:36
Uh, I think you guys are miscommunicating. It's "dearth". It means a scarcity of. Check it out here: http://www.m-w.com/ .

Best Regards,

Cady Goldfield
13th March 2003, 13:36
I believe that Stanley meant "dearth," which means a lack (shortage) of. An opposite would be "surfeit," which means an overabundance of.

Seems to me that indeed there is a dearth of valid, traditional aikijujutsu schools and a surfeit of commercial "wannabe" schools.

stanley neptune
13th March 2003, 17:01
I meant "dearth" Dan. As Cady said I meant that legit schools are few and far between.

Sorry my spell check doesn't work on E-budo! Ooops I forgot to bring my thesaurus. Hope I spelled that rite!

Lighten up big fella. I don't know about any bogus Systema schools in Mass. as you suggested. The one person who I rely on for Systema knowledge is legitimate and others, who are reputable, have spoken highly of him. Arthur Sennot is the main source of this knowledge in this region and I hope you are not taking a shot at him. He is a nice guy and seems to know his Systema.

Please get back to me Dan on any spelling mistakes, poor syntax, improper grammar, dangling participles, poor punctuation, or any other critiques. You appear to have a hair across your dogi.

Stanley Neptune

PS You spelled derivative wrong.
PPS I guess you wouldn't be to cool with me joining your school of traditional JJ huh?

Eric Joyce
13th March 2003, 17:25
Well..I'll take a shot if Dan doesn't. "Rite" is spelled "right" Right? Right...

stanley neptune
13th March 2003, 18:01
Eric,

These are what we call JOKES son! That's J-O-K-E!!

Stanley Neptune

Cady Goldfield
13th March 2003, 18:17
Stanley,

Hey, no need to get defensive about Dan's comments. It is my perception that he believed you were saying that there are many legitimate aikijujutsu schools in the area, and was only contesting that. No hair across any rears.

Dan also wasn't criticizing your spelling or grammar; in fact, he will be the first to make fun of his own shortcomings in that department, as he has many times on this website.

Furthermore, I didn't see any indication that he was referring in any way to Arthur Sennot. More that he was just using Systema as the "MA du jour" to show that any schmoe can take a seminar in whatever the popular fad is at the time and then open a school.

It was a misunderstanding, focused around a word that was misinterpreted by a guy who readily admits he needs to use his spellcheck and dictionary more often. Don't blow it out of proportion.

stanley neptune
13th March 2003, 19:27
Cady,

These are what we call JOKES sister! J-O-K-E-S!!!!

May be I just did not get his point on Systema.

No offense taken and none intended.

Stanley Neptune

Cady Goldfield
13th March 2003, 19:53
Ooooookaaaaay. :)
Just remember that Dan is my teacher, and if you keep making fun of his spelling I'll have to smack you upside the head. I'm the only one officially sanctioned to make fun of his spelling on E-Budo. :p

And yeah, you did misinterpret his use of "Systema" to make a point about the proliferation of bad schools. Dan could have said "Gracie Jujutsu" or "Krav Maga" or whatever to make the same point. He just said "Systema" because that's the MA du jour, it seems.

Dan Harden
13th March 2003, 21:39
deleted

Arthur
13th March 2003, 22:08
Dan,

Stanley is not my student. The only extent to which I know him at all is as a poster on this board. Please do not make assumptions about who my students are or aren't.

Furthermore, I hardly think Systema is a good analogy for the myriads of martial art schools popping up all around the country. We actually have a fairly limited number of schools and it is a fairly close knit group.

As for "names on doors" and "ads in telephone books" we actually don't do either. We are a simple little school that at this point doesn't advertise.

... oh, I just noticed that after coming back to finish this response (had to take a phone call) the message of yours I'm responding too has been edited away. Hmm... I knew I should have copied that text as soon as I saw it. Oh well, so much for context. Guess I'll just stop writing.

Arthur

Dan Harden
14th March 2003, 11:14
Arthur writes
Stanley is not my student. The only extent to which I know him at all is as a poster on this board. Please do not make assumptions about who my students are or aren't.

Dan writes
Stan wrote that he looked to you for all his information on systema. Natural assumption.

Arthur writes
Furthermore, I hardly think Systema is a good analogy for the myriads of martial art schools popping up all around the country. We actually have a fairly limited number of schools and it is a fairly close knit group.

Dan writes
Systema was and is the perfect school to use in this analogy. AJJ is just as small and is still relatively unknown. There are many who claim what they do is AJJ but VERY few can trace it back to anything that is AJJ. The rest are made up arts that borrow the name. There isn’t a myriad of AJJ schools popping up either. Just enough to confuse the public. As it will be with Systema.
Listen, I’m not going anywhere soon. I’ll remind you of this thread in the years to come. I am right and you will live to see this very thing happen to your art. You will have your own Forum titles on E-Budo and AJJ and you will have a raft of near-do-wells using the name.

Arthur writes
As for "names on doors" and "ads in telephone books" we actually don't do either. We are a simple little school that at this point doesn't advertise.

Dan writes
This is EXACTLY my point Arthur. You just wrote a perfect description of the authentic AJJ schools that maybe number up to ten or fifteen that are here and there in North America. Try to find them. They are distinctly uninterested in convincing anyone either.

Arthur again
... oh, I just noticed that after coming back to finish this response (had to take a phone call) the message of yours I'm responding too has been edited away. Hmm... I knew I should have copied that text as soon as I saw it. Oh well, so much for context. Guess I'll just stop writing.

Dan writes
Would you like me to re-post it? Does it matter? I’m only responding here out of respect and politeness to you. We had people telling me I was correcting someones spelling(which is really rather funny). So people are not seriously reading or if they are they are not understanding. So whats the point?
I figured it wasn’t worth my time or anyone else’s. Cady was the only one who got the point of the analogy.
I am not interested in trying to convince anyone of anything-let them think what they will. The “thinking” of the general public and the years of opinion and new schools hasn’t changed AJJ and never will.
As I said in an unrelated post- talk to me in twenty years when all the new “Systema” schools are all over the place and you have just as much validity as the new johnny boy who started a Systema school after combining judo with a whip and has the audacity to call it Systema. Talk to me when you sit there in wonder at the stupidity of trying to convince some green kid of what is real and what it not. They won’t care , and in time. Neither will you. You will just keep doing Systema. Real systema.
We have people combining Aikido with punches and some hard throws and calling it AJJ.
Perfect analogy!

AJJ is small and will always be small. Were you swing wide the doors and invite everyone in- the ten thousand will reduce to a hundred in 5 years. It’s the way it was and the way it will be.

Cheers
Dan

Arthur
14th March 2003, 16:11
Dan writes
Stan wrote that he looked to you for all his information on systema. Natural assumption.

Arthur Writes:
Actually he said he looked to third party verification about me... so I guess not ALL his Systema information comes from me:-(

Dan writes
Systema was and is the perfect school to use in this analogy. AJJ is just as small and is... (snipped for brevity)

Arthur writes:
I better understand your analogy now. Thanks for the clarification. I get it now... makes sense.

Dan writes
This is EXACTLY my point Arthur.

Arthur writes:
Understood

You just wrote a perfect description of the authentic AJJ schools that maybe number up to ten or fifteen that are here and there in North America. Try to find them. They are distinctly uninterested in convincing anyone either.

Dan writes
Would you like me to re-post it? Does it matter? I’m only responding here out of respect and politeness to you.
Arthur writes:
I find it frustrating that on more than one occasion, on more than one board, I have put the effort to respond to you in.... then before my response was finished, find tyour post self removed. It matters, in that its not fair to those attempting to reply to your comments in earnest. When the posts disappear, we have a choice of throwing out what we've worked on... having essentially wasted our time, or attempting to post anyway. Posting anyway can make both parties look like jerks.

So yes I think it matters. Should you repost that particular post.... at this point probably not. The thread has now evolved past that point (speaking of which I'm feeling bad about us hijacking this thread - maybe it can be split or something)

I appreciate you you writing your last post. Thank you.

Dan writes:
As I said in an unrelated post- talk to me in twenty years when all the new “Systema” schools are all over the place and you have just as much validity as the new johnny boy who started a Systema school after combining judo with a whip and has the audacity to call it Systema.

Arthur writes:
I know. That is certainly a concern and a likely event in the future. 20 years from now people will probably question my authenticity because I "don't give belts" or "don't do forms". Its coming, and I dread it.

I guess the pertinent question here is... can we (Systema worlod) learn from the past of other arts that have faced this. Can we find soemething reasonable to do to stop the creation and proliferation of McDojo!?

Arthur

kenkyusha
19th May 2003, 19:21
Howdy, just happened on this...

Originally posted by Dan Harden
snip
Do you mean Jigme's Chobang? He was a student of Anessies (sic) as well. /snip

Not for a while though (6 years and change). I don't do Aikijujutsu, I certainly don't teach it. That is better left to other folks. I'm just a fluffy aiki bunny.

Be well,
Jigme

Walker
20th May 2003, 06:13
Originally posted by Arthur
Dan writes:
As I said in an unrelated post- talk to me in twenty years when all the new “Systema” schools are all over the place and you have just as much validity as the new johnny boy who started a Systema school after combining judo with a whip and has the audacity to call it Systema.

Arthur writes:
I know. That is certainly a concern and a likely event in the future. 20 years from now people will probably question my authenticity because I "don't give belts" or "don't do forms". Its coming, and I dread it.

I guess the pertinent question here is... can we (Systema worlod) learn from the past of other arts that have faced this. Can we find soemething reasonable to do to stop the creation and proliferation of McDojo!?

Arthur
Sorry dude you’re screwed and it is coming. :D With all possible good humor - if you guys can pull it off you’ll be the first. So grab the money while you can, then run. Just kidding... really... no really...
:D really.

Tim Mailloux
17th August 2005, 12:46
I am looking for an Aikijuijutsu dojo in the Western Mass / Northern CT area.

ltuzz
19th August 2005, 19:03
I know there was a Dojo in Chicopee that claimed to teach Aikijujutsu. I can find out if it is still there if you like. I have no idea if the dojo is legit.

Nathan Scott
20th August 2005, 15:42
I've merged this thread with an existing thread on Mass. More times than not, there is already a thread started for an area people are looking in. Even if the thread does not perfectly match your location preference, it is probably a good idea to post there anyway to increase the odds of responses and readership.

Regards,

Howard Thiery
20th August 2005, 17:04
A reference was made in this thread to a AJJ dojo in CT. Does anyone have any info on this school?

Thanks in advance!

Howard

MarkF
21st August 2005, 13:12
Curious only, but ltuzz, if your name is Linda Crochiere, why would you sign your post with a handle instead of your real name as that is one of the rules to which you agreed when you registered?

While I am curious, it is a rule and your full, true name (or first initial and surname) is required.

Thank you,

Mark

kenkyusha
2nd September 2005, 13:27
A reference was made in this thread to a AJJ dojo in CT. Does anyone have any info on this school?

Thanks in advance!

Howard

AFAIK, there are a number of DR study groups in New England.

Be well
Jigme

Edited by George Kohler/Nathan Scott as requested by the poster.

Tim Mailloux
6th September 2005, 14:30
AFAIK, there are a number of small DR study groups in New England.

Be well
Jigme

Edited by George Kohler as requested by the poster.

Do you have any idea how we can find or contact these study groups?

kenkyusha
7th September 2005, 18:45
The above should have said, "There are a couple of well-thought-of instructors who give public seminars at different dojo in New England"... typing w/pneumonia, not a good idea!!

Be well,
Jigme

Dan Harden
8th September 2005, 10:18
Jigme
That was great.........

Hope ya feel better.

Dan

stanley neptune
23rd September 2005, 15:21
Why do the well thought of instructor keep it such a secret? I would love to train in AJJ but I can never find these clandestine shadow warriors.

What are they hiding from!!? Are they fugitives?

"There are things you wouldn't know; things you couldn't know; things you shouldn't know!!" Pee Wee Herman

Stanley Neptune

Cady Goldfield
26th September 2005, 17:34
More that they get kind of tired of people who beg to train, then quit after a few classes because either "it hurts too much" or "it takes too long to get to the good stuff."

kenkyusha
27th September 2005, 15:57
More that they get kind of tired of people who beg to train, then quit after a few classes because either "it hurts too much" or "it takes too long to get to the good stuff."
I just figured it was 'cause they're all ninja... :rolleyes:

Be well,
Jigme

Carl Long
27th September 2005, 21:26
Hello all,

If anyone is interested, Roy Goldberg Sensei has a very public dojo in Mamaroneck, N.Y.. Goldberg Sensei is a highly respected and accomplished Kodokai DR instructor and has been studying with Kiyama Hayawo Shihan for over 35 years. Anyone interested in training with the Kodokai branch of DR would be well advised to contact Goldberg Sensei at:

East Coast Martial Arts Dojo
1 Depot Plaza
Mamaroneck, N.Y.
914-698-3908

Goldberg Sensei hosts Kiyama Shihan several times each year for seminars and training opportunities. If you are looking to learn Daito Ryu from a wonderful teacher, you would not want to miss the opportunity to study with Kiyama Sensei.

The dojo in Mamaroneck houses a very serious group of Budoka. If you truly want to learn DR with the Kodokai, then this dojo would be well worth your examination.

Best of luck,

Carl Long
Jikishin-Kai Intl.

stanley neptune
28th September 2005, 13:17
Carl,

Thank you for that constructive response. I known Sensei Goldberg conducts seminars with Sensei LoPiore of Lyme Connecticut on a frequent basis. I will check out one of his seminars.

Stanley Neptune

Carl Long
28th September 2005, 19:11
Carl,

Thank you for that constructive response. I known Sensei Goldberg conducts seminars with Sensei LoPiore of Lyme Connecticut on a frequent basis. I will check out one of his seminars.

Stanley Neptune

Hello Mr. Neptune,

Actually Goldberg Sensei has been conducting classes (DR "study" groups) in several different locations throughout New England. Mr. Lopriore's dojo is but one of them. I would suggest contacting Goldberg Sensei or Manny Jimenez to get the schedule of when there may be a class in your area. Kiyama Sensei's teachings are widely recognized as first class Daito Ryu and you will have a wonderful opportunity to experience what he is passing on to his students first hand. There are now many more people involved in Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu Kodokai through out the northeast corridor than ever before. It is not easy to find but I assure you it is well worth the effort it takes to track it down.

Regards,

Carl Long

stanley neptune
28th September 2005, 21:29
Thanks again Carl.

Stanley Neptune

Carl Long
29th September 2005, 20:38
Hello all,

If anyone is interested, Roy Goldberg Sensei has a very public dojo in Mamaroneck, N.Y.. Goldberg Sensei is a highly respected and accomplished Kodokai DR instructor and has been studying with Kiyama Hayawo Shihan for over 35 years. Anyone interested in training with the Kodokai branch of DR would be well advised to contact Goldberg Sensei at:

East Coast Martial Arts Dojo
1 Depot Plaza
Mamaroneck, N.Y.
914-698-3908

Goldberg Sensei hosts Kiyama Shihan several times each year for seminars and training opportunities. If you are looking to learn Daito Ryu from a wonderful teacher, you would not want to miss the opportunity to study with Kiyama Sensei.

The dojo in Mamaroneck houses a very serious group of Budoka. If you truly want to learn DR with the Kodokai, then this dojo would be well worth your examination.

Best of luck,

Carl Long
Jikishin-Kai Intl.

I would like to make a correction to the above quoted post and offer an apology if I may. It has been brought to my attention that according to records, Mr. Goldberg has been with the Kodokai organization "...at around 20-23 years," according to an email I received from a representative of the organization. This mistake was totally my own and should not reflect poorly upon the Kodokai or Mr. Roy Goldberg. There was no intent on my or anyone elses part to be misleading regarding the facts. If there was any harm done by these facts please feel free to contact me directly so that I may better understand your concerns.

In addition to my previous public apology, I would like to privately apologize to anyone with questions regarding this issue. When it's my mistake I have the where with all to own up to it. So if you have any more questions regarding the issue please have the fortitude to contact me directly as well by either email or telephone so that I can apologize for the situation in person. Otherwise, I will assume that anyone who was offended or concerned by my unintentional mistake will remain nameless and be satisfied with the correction.

I would like to thank the individual who brought this matter to my attention and offer my assistance in any further misunderstanding regarding this event.

Sincerely,

Carl Long
Director
Jikishin-kai Intl

Email: clong@jikishin-kai.com
Phone: 570-288-7865

Nickma
12th December 2006, 03:50
Hello All,

Looks like the last post was in 2005 :( Has anyone found out if there is an Aikijutsu school in Massachusetts?

If closed schools/groups are available maybe someone can PM me and I can contact them for an interview?

Thanks

N. Pavlidis

Cady Goldfield
11th April 2018, 02:04
Though many years after the original post, there is Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts.

Hontai Hakkei Ryu Aikijujutsu, a neo-classical, internal Japanese art, has an authorized study group in Boston, MA.
The hombu dojo is currently in Philadelphia, PA, under the art's generational head, Salahuddin Muhammad. Inquiries about the Boston-based study group may be directed to me here, or you may contact the study group directly on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HHRofNewEngland/?ref=bookmarks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5LlIdbBbE