PDA

View Full Version : Daito ryu AJJ Daibukan/ Ohgami Kenkichi

Louis Butto
18th April 2002, 00:25
Greetings,

For those of you who are interested, we finally finished uploading the English version of a website of another one of Takuma Hisa's close 8th dan students, who does not belong to the Takumakai, and who has been running his own Dojo, the Daibukan since 1968. I think you'll find the site interesting. If you have any comments, please let me know.

Site: www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~daibukan/home.html

szczepan
18th April 2002, 00:41
Hi,

Do ypu have different colors of the belts for each level? How do you name these levels?

thanks

Louis Butto
18th April 2002, 09:00
Hello

We use the typical system of kyu and dan rankings. Our kyu rankings do have corresponding colored belts. I hope that answers your question.

Very Best,

Louis

Louis Butto
19th April 2002, 07:03
There has been a bi-lingual book available to Dojo members for several years. A newly revised English version only will be forthcoming in the near future. I don't know whether it will be available to the general public, or only sold at the seminars that Ohgami sensei will give in the US. Anyway, it has lots of neat stuff, a biography on Hisa sensei and many waza, but unless you do Daito Ryu, it will be hard to figure out the waza.

Best Regards,

Kit LeBlanc
19th April 2002, 15:10
Louis,

Is the Vancouver BC contact number available?

According to the site you guys spar....COOL! Can you describe a little of what your Daito-ryu sparring entails?

jsquared2112
21st April 2002, 13:10
Great Site!

When will he be coming to the states for his seminars?

What cities will he be going to?

Thanks

Louis Butto
21st April 2002, 23:28
I just consulted with Ohgami sensei and he said that the book would be available to the general public. Gary Gablehouse who is representing Ohgami sensei in the USA now, who lives in Lincoln, NB is working on the project, as well as the schedule of the seminars. Keep posted to the website for further details. You can contact Joshua Mostow at the University of BC.

About sparring, we don't do full contact sparring, because we don't use protective gear. On occasion we have done that, but there is no real way to protect the joints anyway. You can get an idea of the sparring from the pictures in the website.

Thanks for your questions.

Louis

txhapkido
22nd April 2002, 02:02
Louis, what's the best way to purchase the video "Daito Ryu Aiki Budo Hiden: The secret arts of Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu." Thanks from Texas.:smilejapa

Nathan Scott
22nd April 2002, 07:57
[Post deleted by user]

Louis Butto
23rd April 2002, 04:48
As Nathan has explained, the video can only be purchased through BAB. We sell it to Dojo members in Japan, but I don't think Ohgami sensei will staring shpping these thinks abroad from his house. But it is a good video. I still always refer to it.

Very best,

Louis Butto

Louis Butto
25th April 2002, 06:47
Reviewing this thread, I reflected that I probably didn't answer Mr. Kit Leblanc's question sufficiently. Regarding sparring, the uke is surrounded by 6 or more attackers who can deliver any attack they wish. These include the usual overhead and temple strikes, one punch and multiple punches, either to the body or face, as well as kicks. Ohgami sensei has realized the weaknesses and strengths of Daito Ryu and has added these elements. But all our final controls are based on Daito Ryu. We don't use protective gear, so we do hold back on the attacks. Sometimes the attacks come quickly, multiple opponents, etc. I hope that is a better desription. Thanks again for the inquiry.

O'Neill
22nd January 2003, 20:29
I was wondering if anyone is a student of Ohgami Kenkichi here, please PM me. Thank you.

Louis Butto
23rd January 2003, 02:53
Dear Mr. Erin O'Neill

I am currently practicing under Kenkichi Ohgami in Japan. I recalled you were concerned about one of his videos. I talked to him about it, and it turns out he wasn't satisfied with it either. It is a rather slow video, but in reality our practice is rather dynamic with a sparring session included, so he may put out another video. A very interesting book with be coming out by him in English with a year or so, according to the book publisher, which includes lots of techniques and biography of Hisa sensei. If there is anything you would like to know, feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

:)

O'Neill
23rd January 2003, 17:01
Can we take this to pm? I have a few questions that aren't for everyone else. See ya.

Nathan Scott
26th June 2003, 22:27
[Post deleted by user]