PDA

View Full Version : Japan's crime stats up? Can this be true?

Jody Holeton
23rd January 2003, 06:39
From http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2003/1/20/latest/9762Japanscr&sec=latest

Japan's crime rate rises to record high

TOKYO (AP): Crime in Japan last year rose to a new post-World War II record high, the National Police Agency said Monday.

The number of crimes rose to a record high of 2.85 million in 2002, up 4.3 percent from the previous year, the agency said. It was the seventh straight annual increase.

For decades, Japan had enjoyed a relatively low crime rate because of a remarkable post-World War II economic boom. But the country's current economic slowdown has been accompanied by near record high unemployment and a surge in crime.

Meanwhile, the arrests-per-crime rate stood at 20.8 percent, up 1 percent from its lowest-ever rate of 19.8 percent seen in 2001.

Violent crimes, such as murder, robbery, assault and rape, totaled 22,294 in 2002, up 3.5 percent from the previous year. The arrest rate for those crimes was 50.2 percent, down 2.8 percent from 2001.

No way this can be true!

Japan is a peace-loving, rich, tourist-safe, America loving country!
There is no way that this can be true!

Kimpatsu
23rd January 2003, 06:45
There is another point to be made, Jody. When I first came to Japan, no woman would ever consider calling attention to a chikan on the subway; women were blamed for being the centre of the pervert's attention. However, things have changed, and with more women willing to come forward, the number of reported sex crimes has increased, even though the actual number of crimes committed has not. Fun, isn't it?

Exorcist_Fist
23rd January 2003, 07:17
Not for me. I had been looking forward to studying traditional Japanese "grope-yu" when I came here, but it seems to be a dying art.