PDA

View Full Version : speaking of the Buddha

jonboy
23rd January 2003, 16:28
Hi all,

This question sprung to mind from the other thread relating to Buddhism. It's not really kempo, but hey...

I don't know the precise details of Gautama Siddartha becoming the Buddha , but it appeared in the way I understand it that he got frustrated and thought ' I'll sit under that tree until I become enlightened'. Then after a period of time he 'awoke' and claimed that he had achieved it.

What's the deal - did this actually happen? OR did he just get bored or something? Perhaps he was simply hungry?

No doubt he came out of it with some useful things to say and I take nothing away from Buddhism. It just seems rather convenient to me.

Just a thought...

jon

Tripitaka of AA
23rd January 2003, 21:21
I could say "burn the heretic!!"...

but then I like the movie "Life of Brian" too much, and I have always had difficulty accepting these legendary tales without a healthy dose of cynicism.

Let's just say that the story has been told and retold over the centuries, sometimes with embellishment and sometimes in a simplified form. Keeping the story simple will make it accessible to a wider audience. Tales from the Old & New Testament share that simplicity. It is from our priviledged viewpoint that we can look back and mock.

luar
26th January 2003, 15:35
If you ever read any book by Joseph Campbell, you would know that it is not important on the historical accuracy of any story or myth but rather what does it mean metaphoricaly.

jonboy
2nd February 2003, 14:32
Dear Raul,

I do not disagree with your comment, but I do the justification for it. If I had read any of his books I would KNOW only that it was his opinion. The fact that I had read one of his books would not automatically make the opinion mine.

Laters