PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions about Shorinji Kempo

Jake McKee
27th January 2003, 07:58
Please excuse my ignorance but I have some questions about Shorinji Kempo. My questions are based on the Shorinji Kenpo I saw in Japan and the monks training at the Shaolin Temple in China.

Japanese Shorinji Kenpo looks completely different than the art that the monks at the Shaolin temple in China practice. Do students in Japan treat the Shaolin temple as the birthplace of their art? Do they openly acknowledge that the Japanese style is different than what's being practiced at the Shaolin temple?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Anders Pettersson
27th January 2003, 08:21
Originally posted by Jake McKee
Japanese Shorinji Kenpo looks completely different than the art that the monks at the Shaolin temple in China practice. Do students in Japan treat the Shaolin temple as the birthplace of their art?
Hi Jake.
Thr short answer: No.
Members of Shorinjikempo (kenshi) see Tadotsu (small town in Kagawa-ken on Shikoku) as the birthplace of Shorinjikempo. However So Doshin, our founder, did study from Chinese teachers with background from Shaolin.

Originally posted by Jake McKee
Do they openly acknowledge that the Japanese style is different than what's being practiced at the Shaolin temple?
Yes.
At the 50th Anniversay of Shorinjikempo, held at the Nippon Budokan, there were visitors from Shaolin in China that did some demonstrations. Anybody present absolutely realizes that there is a big difference.

What So Doshin sensei wanted to do when he created Shorinjikempo was to make something were people practiced together developing both mind and body, which he put in words with "Ken zen ichinyo" (Œ?‘Tˆê”@) which can be translated as "body and mind together".

One big insipiration for Kaiso in calling his art "Shorinjikempo" was the wall paintings in Shaolin showing monks practicing together (rather than fighting each other). He wanted to make something similar where people can practice and become strong in both mind and body.
He established a martial art style based on all his experience (which is not solely Chinese arts).
For some more on the History of Shorinjikempo, you could check out www.shorinji-kempo.org (go to English -> Article -> History of Shorinjikempo).

/Anders

Jake McKee
28th January 2003, 21:34
Thanks for the info Anders. Now I understand that Doshin So's influence was not only from Shaolin but from other Japanese and Chinese arts. Very interesting history!

colin linz
1st February 2003, 01:05
Bruce,

I haven’t heard of W Chow. I doubt that his style is related to Shorinji Kempo. The difference between “do” and “ji” is that do means the way of, and ji means temple, at least that’s my understanding and I’m sure Tony will correct me if I’m wrong.