PDA

View Full Version : Biddle Back Cut?

the Khazar Kid
28th January 2003, 05:46
He was supposedly famed for this technique, but I don't have his book (it seems to have been discontinued by Paladin Press). What was it?

His student Steyers' backcut in his classic book "Cold Steel" is very linear, the extension/retraction or snap cut/back cut in one without turning the hand.

While the backcut apparently taught by James Keating, Dwight McLemore, and other modern Bowie Knife masters is very rotational, actually involving turning the wrist around 180' in one plane while the knife turns in a hooking cut through another plane at right angles to the first one (this used to be illustrated much better than I can describe on Col. McLemore's website, which doesn't seem to be up anymore).

I like both techniques but wonder which one was the famed Biddle Back Cut? Or was the Biddle Back Cut still another technique?

Jesse Peters

INFINOO
29th January 2003, 01:25
Jesse Peters: Although I havn't seen the book in question I suspect its one or the other elliptical or linear. Perhaps there is a difference in the grip (pinch, modified saber) that makes it appear differnt? Did you buy/obtain the bowie knife manual from Dwight Mclemores. From what Iv have heard it sounds interesting. I wouldnt mind seeing/buying a copy. Have you got the tapes from keating? I was lucky enough to attend a Riddle several years ago on bowie knife usage. Great stuff.

Regards

Gregory Rogalsky
Rogalsky Combatives International
Calgary Alberta Canada