PDA

View Full Version : More translation help needed...

tommysella
29th January 2003, 08:17
Hi all!

Just wantet to confirm a translation (I'm using JWPce and my knowing Japanese is not that good)...

http://home.astrakan.hig.se/tommy/judo/kanji2.jpg

I have translated the above kanji to the following:

"This form of bout"

Is this correct...?

Regards,
Tommy Selggren
Gävle Judo Club

ghp
30th January 2003, 02:02
Hi Tommy,

I don't have my Nelson's with me, but it looks like "Kono shuai no kata" [this "hand-meeting's" form]. The first kanji (if I'm not mistaken) is old-form for "this" (today usually written in hiragana); shu/te = hand; ai/awaseru = combining; and kata/katachi = form/format.

Presuming you mean "competition/bout/fight", then shu is incorrect. Instead, type in Tamesu [test]. Tamesu is alternately pronounced as shi as in "shiken" [examination].

Oh ... a thought here: are you translating something originally in Japanese? If so, then perhaps "shuai" has a meaning with which I am unfamiliar. ??? [scratches head]. However, if you are translating from "English" into Japanese -- then perhaps my original statement about "shiai" is correct.

There! Is that confusing enough? :D

Good luck,
Guy

Tatsuko
30th January 2003, 02:36
Originally posted by tommysella
Hi all!

Just wantet to confirm a translation (I'm using JWPce and my knowing Japanese is not that good)...

http://home.astrakan.hig.se/tommy/judo/kanji2.jpg

I have translated the above kanji to the following:

"This form of bout"

Is this correct...?

Hello,

As Guy mentioned, the first kanji you have there is a word that's almost always written in hiragana nowadays. And as for the second and third kanji, I think you mean "shiai," in which case you need to replace the second kanji with the base kanji of "tamesu."

Assuming you did mean to put shiai, there's still something off about the grammar. What you wrote means "this bout's form." But I think you meant something more like "this type/kind of bout," right? Just trying to figure out exactly what you want to say in order to be able to help out more.

ghp
30th January 2003, 03:51
Hi Amy,

Thanks for the further clarification.
But I think you meant something more like "this type/kind of bout," right? If this is in fact what he wants to say, then something similar to "Kono yoo na shiai [this sort of bout]" will work. Can you think of another way to say this phrase?

Cheers,
Guy

renfield_kuroda
30th January 2003, 04:25
I'm confused: did you see that string of Japanese somewhere and are trying to put it into English? If so, can you point to the original Japanese page/source? That'll help with context and make translating into English easier.
If you're trying to translate something from English into Japanese, whatever it is you're trying to say isn't coming through very well.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards,
renfield kuroda

tommysella
30th January 2003, 10:29
The book I'm translating is an old bok in japanese describing techniques...

Thanks for all the help...

Regards,
Tommy

ghp
30th January 2003, 12:08
Tommy,
Is it possible for you to post the entire sentence? The one thing my wife hates most is when people ask her what one particular word means. She always needs a context -- and often times (especially in archaic Japanese) that might be a line before and a line after the particular "word". Frustrating, isn't it?

Anyway, I'll check to see if "shuai" is archaic Japanese for "shiai". From what you've posted, it sounds like the most important part of the text is that which follows. "Kono shuai no kata wa/wo ....[insert description]....."

To quote a semi-famous cult movie called "Little Shop of Horrors" ...
FEED MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....
So, if you can give us more fodder, we'll try to get you a clearer understanding.

Regards,
Guy

Tatsuko
30th January 2003, 17:02
Originally posted by ghp
Is it possible for you to post the entire sentence? The one thing my wife hates most is when people ask her what one particular word means. She always needs a context -- and often times (especially in archaic Japanese) that might be a line before and a line after the particular "word". Frustrating, isn't it?

I second this. There's nothing quite so frustrating to a translator as not having enough context.

Anyway, I'll check to see if "shuai" is archaic Japanese for "shiai".

Actually, you would read those two kanji as "teai." Which is a term currently used for a handicap in Go. There is also a word "teawase" (Žè?‡‚킹) which means a game, contest, or bout. I've never seen *only* the two kanji "teai" to have the second meaning, but I suppose it is an older term for the same thing.

renfield_kuroda
30th January 2003, 22:27
"Tea(i)" has 4 basic meanings:
1 "yatsura", those dudes, them (not particularly positive meaning)
2 a kind of, a sort
3 to play or match, as in the game go
4 suitable, appropriate opponent

Regards,
renfield kuroda