PDA

View Full Version : Zenkoku Iaido Renmei?

Mokushin
31st August 2000, 01:51
Hello,

Just curious, does anyone have any information about the Zenkoku Iaido Renmei and where it fits in with the ZNIR? Is this org. an offshoot of some kind. Thanks.

ghp
31st August 2000, 02:57
"All National Iaido Federation" ....?????

I could be wrong ... it just sounds "unusual" to me for it to be part of a federation name.

:saw: [a new form of tameshigiri]

Nelson's Kanji Dictionary defines "zenkoku" [kanji 384.8.13] as "zenkoku, zengoku the whole country; nation-wide, national." (p.140)

I've not seen "zenkoku" used as part of a federation name, although I *have* seen it on a taikai banner [Dai Nippon Toyama Ryu Iaido Renmei Zenkoku Taikai]. However, in that context it meant "National Taikai" [competition].

I'd expect a "proper" name to be something like "Zen-Bei xxx Ryu Iaido Renmei." Zen= all/entire; Bei=America [it's the kanji for "rice" -- in Japan, the US is "Rice Country"].

But I may be mistaken. Here are some other samples, just for spits and grins:

England - Zen-Ei(ei= gifted person). [Strange, but in China the character for 'beautiful' is used to mean England; whereas in Korea the character for 'beautiful' is used for the US.]

Germany - Zen-Doku (doku= alone; used because it sounds close to "Deutsch" when combined with another kanji). Although the kanji is "doku" the Japanese actually say "doitsu" when this kanji is associated with Germany.

France - Zen-Futsu (Butsu=Buddha, but pronounced as 'futsu' when associated with France); used because it sounds close to "Francais." Although the kanji is "futsu" the Japanese actually say "furansu" when this kanji is associated with France; although sometimes it is called "Fukkoku."

Regards,
Guy

Mokushin
31st August 2000, 03:14
Guy,

Yes, I'd never heard of it so thought I'd put it out there. I found reference to the Zenkoku Iaido Renmei on this website

http://www.txc.net.au/~hokushin/kimura.htm

ghp
31st August 2000, 06:01
If you would like to learn Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iai-Do and you do not have access to one of these dojos, maybe you could establish a new dojo in your home town?

Please feel free to contact Shihan Goho Wonho Chong if this idea appeals to you.

Click here if you wish to send an application form.

Hmmmmm .... so if there is not a dojo around, I can become a member by establishing a dojo in my hometown???

Their use of "Zenkoku Iaido Renmei" just might be a bad translation of "Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei."

The only iai/batto renmei I can think of are:

Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei
Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Iai-bu
Zen Nippon Toyama Ryu Iaido Renmei (Yokohama: Nakamura Taizaburo)
Dai Nippon Toyama Ryu Iaido Renmei (Kyoto: the late Morinaga Kyoshi sensei; now, Tokutomi Tasaburo sensei??)
Nippon Toyama Ryu Iaido So-Renmei (Sapporo: Yamaguchi Yuuki sensei)
Zen Nippon Battodo Renmei (founded by Nakamura Taisaburo sensei; now headed by Ueki Seiiji sensei)
Nihon Battodo Renmei (Leader: ?)
Kokusai Battodo Renmei (Yokohama: Nakamura Taizaburo sensei)

Regards,
Guy

MarkF
31st August 2000, 07:59
Hi, Guy,
Just a note to say congratulations on naming the new smilie :saw: and giving it a name:smilejapa