PDA

View Full Version : strange students

william northcote
6th February 2003, 19:42
Has anyone experienced the type of person that comes to the dojo saying that he is a real ninja?

This got me thinking due to a thread that was started by someone wishing to learn ninja type skills but not the martial arts side of it.

Just a thought that should be taken lightly.

Oni
6th February 2003, 20:42
Whenever I encounter someone looking for these 'other' things I normally just explain to them that many of these other things cannot be understood without first having a very solid understanding of taijutsu. I explain that even if someone were willing to show them the stuff it would not really help them all that much without years of dirt time.

Most of the time this is respectfully met as an acceptable answer and once they get training they normally don't worry so much about the other stuff. Those that only wish for the ninja or mystical side of things go on their merry way looking for someone to make it up for them ;)

I would not say this is really a case of 'strange students' as I know many practitioners today may have started off looking for the more esoteric side of things before they really knew any better. Of course if they came in claiming to 'be a ninja' from day one I might agree with the 'strange' assessment....:nin:

paolo_italy
7th February 2003, 13:49
yeah,

but usually the are pissed off with my PT, so I don't care...

What really makes me blind of fury is when these real ninjer try to hurt my less skilled fellows... :shot:

william northcote
7th February 2003, 14:02
I guess it's the myth of what passes as ninja that people think of as taijutsu.

With the Japanese anime/manga along with the various video games, taijutsu seems to still be, in some parts of martial arts, involving back flips and saving kittens from trees with something that in reality would need wires and a lot of work in a film companies computer room.

I suppose there will always be that element that wish to go in and try to find a way of appearing like a ghost in the night. Most would benefit from a nice talk with the military careers advisor.

Fortunatly for my part of the world, these people are few and far between. Mostly father away from me the better:D

Ground Dragon
7th February 2003, 14:21
When I was in my previous style, I was a co-instructor of a beginner's class. We had this kid, I think he was 12 or 13, was obviously the typical nerd or geek, or what have you. Poor kid, I did feel sympathy for him, he had some issues going on and I think he compensated for that by making crap up so he'd feel better about himself and hopefully try to gain other people's acceptance.
Anyway, he made up this whole story about how he had just moved, and where he lived previously, in
Wisconsin, he learned a style called 'shotokan-ninjutsu' from the janitor at his school. This janitor was a '5 star master'. Oh, and in the course of his training, he became a '3 star master' himself. He asked me and the other instructor over and over 'Do you use chi' ? Then he tried to show us moves from his style. He said one particular move, from the crab-style component of his art, could break through kevlar. Of course when he showed it, I could barely contain my laughter. I couldn't tell at first if he was
just joking around or not. I finally decided he wasn't so I started to lose my sympathy rather quickly. After that I slightly (and I mean slightly) upped the intensity of his workouts (it was a small class and I ended up basically giving him a private lesson on more than one occasion). Once he had to stop and go get his inhaler. Of course I had no way of knowing he was also asthmatic. After that I let him take breaks when he needed to, although it kept me from pushing him in way at all. Better that than have a lawsuit on me for making an asthmatic 12 year old have to go to the ER.
Luckily, he quit coming after three weeks or so. He was so full of crap. But in the end I do wish the best for him, I was kind of a nerd in high school too so I know what it can be like.

Jason Boling

Bufu Ikan
7th February 2003, 15:18
All the time :)

Those who are imature have this type attitude

Rokushakubo
7th February 2003, 15:58
I've only come across one guy who claimed to have studied "real" ninjutsu (or "ninjitsu" as he inevitably called it!)

He said that he was a master ninja and was frequently called up on secret ninja missions! This guy was 17!!!

He actually joined our club not long after I started in 1995. He lasted two weeks before he brought in his home made swords, and was promptly kicked out by my instructor.

I don't think I've seen him since.

william northcote
7th February 2003, 16:51
Home made swords???

OMG that is really taking the boldily fluids.

Evan London
7th February 2003, 17:12
At the comercial dojo I used to attend and teach at, we always dealt with weirdos and "ninjas" by telling them that we couldn't teach them what they wanted to know. That ususally satisfied them and away they went.

Ev

william northcote
7th February 2003, 17:17
Thinking about what Evan has said in the last thread, I wonder where they went to?

Are these people still wandering? Or has Ashida Kim gotten to them :D

Tamdhu
7th February 2003, 17:46
All highly-skilled Ninja know that the best way to save kittens from trees is with a light-guage bow and arrows with a length of twine fastened to them.

ssswWIshhhhhthwACk!

reOWRrr!

(yank)

Thump.

"Here ya go, little Jimmy."

"Gee, thanks mister Ninja! Now Fluffy's got a handle. Cool!"

"You're welcome, Jimmy. Study hard in school, and take care of Fluffy."

"I will!"

RreOWrr...

"Ninja...VANISH!"

-=BAMF!=-

Janin
8th February 2003, 01:20
Once while i was training and i am still a big time amature a guy came up to me and told me he knew several martial arts and he said he knew ninjutsu. He said he stuidied from Some master in Arizona somewhere i think. I kinda was tempted to tell the guy the truth about his so called Ninjutsu training was fake but since the guy was bigger and more muscular than me i decided to just walk off and let him live in his dream world.;)

drizzt777
8th February 2003, 03:43
When I was training in Gadsden about four years ago a guy came in and said he had made up his own system of Ninjutsu after a dream he had inspired him to do so.

He said we should all train with him. So when we sparred that night, we got to see first hand how well his system worked.

Anyway this guy like left and was, as we say, never seen from again.

God Bless!

In Christ,
Randall Engle
GWNBF/KJJR
Member, Fudoshin Dojo
USA

stormy
14th February 2003, 15:07
Many years ago a prospective student appeared at my dojo wanting to learn `Ninja magic`, i told him i will send him something in the post, i sent him a blank sheet of paper, i never saw him again so i don`t know whether he`s still looking at the paper waiting for something to happen or he took the hint!.

Happy training everybody.

Norman:

stormy
14th February 2003, 18:55
Who said i`m a `ninja`?

william northcote
14th February 2003, 19:06
It was only posted in this ninpo section for one reason.

Ninjas are said not to exist and yet, there is a martial art form of ninja and ancient Samurai.

I am thinking of the "fruit cakes" that claim to want to know the bits that is offered by the mystique of ninja. I.E. the form of hiding, killing people, drinking sake and killing people with the bizarre ways of a ninja.

Does anyone else see the irony in this thread? I mean, ninjas discussing their idea of "strange students"?

There may be an ironic thought somewhere, but it is open to anyone that wants to share a good story of a loser wanting to be a mystical ninja.

Its only here for a chuckle from the humdrum of trolling and counter accusations. :)

Most of what I read is the application of being able to know who is a looney from someone who is a budding student. If anyone has any anecdotal stories to tell please do. We could all do with a chuckle.