PDA

View Full Version : Ninpo Training Sessions

Lee Mc'pherson
6th February 2003, 20:22
Nnjutsu is a wildly diversive MA and as such even if you trained for 10 years every single day you still wouldn't have learned it all. Of course this is just one of the things that make it so great the only problem is that we are not profesional ninjas and dont have all that time to train ( even though we all would love to ;) ). So the question is this : that when you have say 3 2hour training sessions a week what do you work on first? Keep in mind that for any MA school you also have to keep your students in good physical condition but any of the excercises that I know also take time from Nin training does anyone know any excersises that that train both body but also tecnique?

I have found that a lot of repetitions of keri,tsuki and nagashi are a good sweatbreaker and a good tecnique excercise.
A lot of repetitions of kaitens and acrobatics.

Also ground fighting is good on both of these and freestyle kumite.

Any other good ideas?

BigJon
6th February 2003, 21:03
We roll at first. Then roll again. Then grab the bokken and work taihenjutsu.(avoiding blows) Then Gogyo/kihon. I thought it was getting redundun, until one day I trained as a guest at another dojo.
Some of the shodans couldnt count to ten in Japanese, or do the gogyo no kata...I was awestruck...how can you progress in any way without knowing these things?

Jon Gillepsie

Ka1yama
6th February 2003, 21:58
At the Kamiyama Dojo we usually start with light sparring, just moving and footwork with strikes thrown in to warm-up the blood. Then we usually do striking combinations on thai pads/ belly pads. Jab cross hook normally or tsuki gyaku tsuki mawashi tsuki? if the first sounds too untraditional. One person takes of their belly pad and becomes the defender. The defender receives hits and is free to hit the attacker back in the belly pad or if we use gloves, anywhere. This is normally followed by hindu push-ups, sit ups, whatever punative push-ups may insue and then ukemi. Everything up to ukemi takes about 10 mintues. The warm-up alone is a good sweatbreaker not to mention the rest of it. I like the fact that hitting is emphasized, you really get to sink your knuckles into things. The light sparring helps me see holes in my footwork and defenses. To answer your question I would work on things that build good attributes as well as provide good conditioning.

Neil Stewart

paolo_italy
7th February 2003, 13:55
Hi,

Ah, nice place Greece...

Basically, our magic recipe is:

- have a good PT program (ours is based on military circuit training)
- study the Ten Chi Jin Ryaku no Maki deeply
- focus on the themes fixed by the Hombu

and last but not least

- find a teacher able to enfuse energy, happiness, motivation

Good luck!