PDA

View Full Version : Embroidery

dan_norris
17th February 2003, 01:37
Here is a stupid question but I think it is an interesting one.....

After getting your black belt, what color lettering do you recommend getting your name and Shorinji Kempo written in? The most common I've seen is orange.

Kimpatsu
17th February 2003, 01:43
Gassho.
When I passed 1st dan, in the UK everyone had a golden-yellow colour, because Mizuno Sensei wanted everyone to be the same. That's changed somewhat now, but I still think the golden-yellow colour is the nicest.
Kesshu.

dan_norris
17th February 2003, 08:46
Gassho

Hmmm, that is interesting. Is that the most common color that kenshi choose in England? Thinking back, it seems as though orange was the main color that I can remember kenshi having at the dojo I trained at in Osaka. Here in Seattle, I'd say silver is. I also see red lettering often too but not as much as silver. Both look nice but I'll have to check out that golden-yellow color. I haven't seen that one before in Japan or the U.S.A.

jonboy
17th February 2003, 10:28
Interesting indeed. I always thought it was grade specific so that the instructors would know what grade the (otherwise indistinguishable) black belts are.

So is this not the case?

Jon

Kimpatsu
17th February 2003, 11:15
Originally posted by jonboy
Interesting indeed. I always thought it was grade specific so that the instructors would know what grade the (otherwise indistinguishable) black belts are.
So is this not the case?
Gassho.
No, Jon; we don't buy a new black belt every time we pass a grading.
Kesshu.

Kimpatsu
17th February 2003, 11:17
Originally posted by dan_norris
Hmmm, that is interesting. Is that the most common color that kenshi choose in England? Thinking back, it seems as though orange was the main color
Gassho.
We may be thinking of the same colour, Dan; I have always thought it more yellowish than orange. I wonder if there's a Munsell chart for belt colours? ;)
Kesshu.

dan_norris
18th February 2003, 09:14
Gassho

I think your right Tony-san. I check out a chart and the color (#4) on the chart was classified as a golden color. 金茶 or "kincha" was the kanji used for the color. I always called it orange but #1 on the chart was called orange. Well, it looks like we were talking about the same color afterall. I wonder why that color is the most popular...? It does actually look the best. #7 and #2 would be close runners up though.

Kesshu

Tripitaka of AA
18th February 2003, 10:34
Back in London, in my mum's house, I have a Black Belt that we bought in Tadotsu for a British Kenshi who had yet to achieve Dan grade. I think he had work commitments that kept him away from the Dojo for a long time after that... so I have a belt going spare. The only problem might be getting your name changed by Deed Poll so that the lettering on the name side would still work... ;)

Golden Yellow colour :)

Kimpatsu
18th February 2003, 22:05
Gassho.
Dan-san, Number 4 is exactly the colour I had in mind. It's the colour on my belt, too. It's the favourite colour at the Kokubunji Doin, as well, but No. 7, silver, is second. HTH.
Kesshu.

Steve Williams
18th February 2003, 23:13
Exactly as Tony (Kehoe) said.

When I passed my sho dan it was "recommended" by Mizuno sensei that I had the "golden yellow" colour (actually he obtained the belt for me on one of his many trips to Japan)
So at that time ('88) all the BSKF black belts had the same colour stitching.

Since then sensei has not made such a recommendation, but it still seems to be the colour of choice, with the silver in second place.

Tripitaka of AA
19th February 2003, 04:22
And while we are discussing needlework and things haberdashery...

What do you think is the best way to attach the shoulder badges and chest badges to a Dogi?

I found that repeated washing would make colours fade and badges would become damaged if sewn directly to the garment. It also meant that you would need as many badges as you had spare Dogi. So I experimented with small pop fasteners and velcro. The metal pop-fasteners posed a slightly higher risk of injury to a partner during Juho techniques (sode, juji, etc.) but held the badges more firmly than the velcro. Nothing worse in an Embu than to finish the last move, Rei, then have to scurry around retrieving badges from all corners of the arena :)

This also follows the earlier thread a few months ago, on which was the preferred type of detergent;)

Edited for spolling mistekks

dan_norris
19th February 2003, 07:00
Gassho

I use velcro for my patch. I'll always remove the patch before washing the dogi and just place it back on after it has been cleaned. After being washed so many times the velcro on the dogi may need to be replaced or sown on again. The thread holding the velcro on the dogi always seems to come undone after awhile. I've seen metal pop-fastners used before. Looks like they'd be easier to remove the patch and hold it better.

Kesshu