PDA

View Full Version : Eastern thoughts on Menieres?

bruceb
18th February 2003, 13:32
Dr. Prosper Meniere came up with an observation, while working in a hospital for the insane, about a group of symptoms that appeared to be identified with what he thought was hearing displaying a ringing or fullness of the ears, malaise, paranoia, schitzofrenia, and a whole group of identifiable symptoms that became known as Meniere's disease.

If that wasn't bad enough, a case of Bell's palsy on the right side,then on the left side of my face left me with trigeminal neuralgia, to which more drugs were prescribed.

I spent nearly four years increasing the drug dosages or changing to newer more effective drug treatments, only to find that diet, acupuncture and electrical stimulation of facial nerves were the way to attain some relief. It was not by the methods of denying either eastern or western medicine, but finding a balance of the two.

At this time, minimum drig dosages, and being able to miss days of taking drug dosages have shown there to be a dramatic improvement from researching and applying many eastern diagnosis for prevailing symptoms manifested by these conditions.

In the eastern thought, there are other concerns as to the circulation of the bodys ki/chi, and some of this is done with physical treatments for ailments that are obvious, and personal efforts of stretching or mental exercises that enhance the mind to tell the body to get better.

Western medicine is adopting some of these ideas in the form of trying to make the environment of a hospital more friendly, and the people you deal with when you are ill attluned to your needs. This environment reducing stress, the individual given reinforcement, and the pain/stress of the illness is lessoned.

In terms of deterioration for my conditions, practicing or participating in class is sometimes equal to hitting the dehydration wall of a hot summer day, or having an asmatic attack the physically sidelines me from practice.

In terms of doing Budo when it must be done in moderation, or the practice modified with rest periods ..... what are the thoughts of Budo and the Body in light of a 50 year old man doing some of the practice like a 30 year old man, then reaching a point where he must sit out like an 80 year old man? Are there other concerns I should be aware of that I have not considered?

Kimpatsu
18th February 2003, 22:40
Originally posted by bruceb
schitzofrenia,
:confused:

Steve Williams
19th February 2003, 02:00
I think he means schizophrenia

Not everyone has your spelling ability Tony ;)

But everyone can use a dictionary...... :D

Kimpatsu
19th February 2003, 02:47
edited by admin

bruceb
24th February 2003, 20:45
At least I know the parameters of my disease and how it affects my thinking and behavior ....

enuf said?

bruceb
25th February 2003, 15:26
Does anyone have experience in Eastern medicine, and practicing martial arts with these conditions?

Or .... am I a pioneer in this field.

John Lindsey
25th February 2003, 16:40
Bruce, have you looked into your diet very much? That is where I would start.

Take a look at this page:

http://oto.wustl.edu/men/mntreat.htm#MI2

Chuck.Gordon
25th February 2003, 21:05
Originally posted by bruceb
Does anyone have experience in Eastern medicine, and practicing martial arts with these conditions?

Hi Bruce.
This is Chuck's wife Emily.
I am a practicing massage therapist specializing in chronic pain and other conditions caused by trigger points and myofascial problems.
I also specialize in the problems of martial artists (I've been one since 1989 and have done lots of stupid stuff that hurts).

The things I do are sort of the Western scientific version of accupressure, and I find a good deal of overlap in my research. I've only been doing this professionally about two years now, but I am getting good results and learning lots.

Dizziness, nausea and disorientation can be caused by trigger points in the sternocleidomastoid (the big muscle on the side of your neck). If you have a stiff, sore neck often, and if your Meneire's acts up when it's sore, there might be a connection.

The Bell's Palsy can also be caused by trigger points in the face and neck.

If you've always been a stiff and achy guy, you should probably look into these resources.

Check here for more info, and I highly recommend this book for people with Annoying Unexplainable Pains (shush, Tony! ;).
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/vertigo.htm

Here is a another resource for martial artists by my friend Carol Shifflet who fixed several of my problems and taught me so much:
http://www.round-earth.com/Myofascial.html

And, since you are up in the NE, how about a trip to Pittsburgh?
http://www.painschool.com/frames.html

Thank you for asking a question I can contribute to and help everyone with.

mle
(on Chuck's account because she usually just lurks)

bruceb
25th February 2003, 21:48
Actually, you are right on the money, because that is exactly the path I am on right now. Working on the neck, and since I got my little electric Q-Zapper, it put me in the right direction.

The Biggest help has been Acupuncture, which is once a month maintainence right now.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I put feelers out every now and then to see if there is something I have overlooked or something I haven't heard of.

I have a lead on a really good herbologist in Chicago trained in China, 82 years old, Dr Wao Tang I believe is his name.

The Acupuncturists I am seeing now got back from an internship in China last year, maybe they can contact Dr. Wao for a recommended treatment of herbs.

I will check out those links and make a few phone calls.

I go out to Warren PA to visit my relatives twice a year, a side trip to Pittsburgh might be worth it.

Catch you later.

Kimpatsu
26th February 2003, 04:24
You know that all Shorinji Kenshi practice Seiho, Bruce; you checked out the BSKF website. (www.bskf.org)
As for being a pioneer, you must be joking. Woo-woo theories are 10-a-penny on the Internet.

bruceb
2nd March 2003, 13:55
Mr. Kehoe,

Instead of being all knowing, all encompassing within your training and knowledge of Shorinju Kempo, some practical advice would be appreciated.

Really.

Put aside the blinders of Shorinji Kempo, and for once, accept that your practiced art is taken from so many different sources that it is pieced together.

It is not the name, Shorinju Kempo or Aikido or BJJ for examples, that makes the practice important, but the effect it has upon the human being.

I have great sympathy for the pathetic posts that mock posters with inane comedy in which Mr. Kehoe attempts to endear himself to posters because .... they do not display the moral fiber that is advertised and touted as Shorinji Kempo. Unless the freedom to interpret individuality leans so far to the left that the individual can create their own base of morality, I think you should rethink the manner in which replys browbeat posters. I don't know how to put it in words without being offensive in some degree?

As far as the woo-woo science we discuss? Most of that is taken from the Chinese and Japanese roots. Maybe some of it is rewritten to my western understanding and lowered to lesser terms within my understanding, but none the less, it is taken from valid sources.

If you have any helpful advice, feel free to write.

If not, I would appreciate it if the levity were left for other threads.

This is a very serious condition that seems to have no cure, and deteriorates over time. It is so serious that insanity was a common diagnosis, and a common phenonmenon from people who couldn't stand the pain or cope with the altering emotional states from the symptoms as seen by the early patients of Dr. Prosper Meniere.

Please, no jokes.

Thank you.