PDA

View Full Version : Dojo in non-martial arts?

Hanna B
19th February 2003, 13:03
I could not really find out in which forum to post this. Figured that maybe this is one where people would know.

Is the word "dojo" specific for budo, or is it also used in other Japanese arts such as ikebana or chado?

Regards

Hanna B
19th February 2003, 13:11
finally figured out that "Japanese culture" probably would be better. Sorry! I apologise, start a new thread in this section and encourage any moderator to close and/or delete this thread.

hyaku
19th February 2003, 14:15
Originally posted by Hanna B
I could not really find out in which forum to post this. Figured that maybe this is one where people would know.

Is the word "dojo" specific for budo, or is it also used in other Japanese arts such as ikebana or chado?

Regards

We even have Karaoke dojo!

Hyakutake Colin

fifthchamber
19th February 2003, 14:26
Hi all.

We even have a Karaoke Dojo!
....Thats whats missing in England! If it was possible to 'learn' how to sing when drunk I would think many people would join in...I would!
Make it mandatory for the football fans and you have the start of a great idea for a cult!;)
(Serious mode...)
Wasn't the term Dojo originally used as a reference to the temples for Buddhist practise? The term was used for that and only in the Edo period did it really become linked with Budo in areas set up specifcally for training...I think...:rolleyes:
I would guess that it could be applied to any place of learning a 'way' of doing something...Perhaps an emphasis should be on the 'spiritual' side of an art but I would guess it could apply to the above arts certainly...
Hyakutake-san: Hope all is well with yourself? How did the demo's go? Any photos? Take care.
Regards.