PDA

View Full Version : Dojo in non-martial arts?

Hanna B
19th February 2003, 13:14
Is the word "dojo" specific for budo, or is it also used in other Japanese arts such as ikebana or chado?

Regards

R A Sosnowski
19th February 2003, 13:57
Is the word "dojo" specific for budo, or is it also used in other Japanese arts such as ikebana or chado?

The term "Dojo" was borrowed from Zen in the 1600's or 1700's in Japan as I recall, as Budo schools expanded during the relative peace time of the Tokugawa Shogunate (1603-1867).

It literally means "way place" with `way' in this context coming from the Chinese "Tao" as in "The Way of ...."

I have not seen the term "Dojo" associated with schools of Chado in a quick scan of several reference books in my library. I do not know about Kado/Ilebana.

I do know that in Suizen, the "Blowing Zen" of Shakuhachi (Japanese 5-hole, end-blow bamboo flute) playing, places of study are referred to as "Dojo."

So Dojo is not a term exclusive to Budo.

HTH.

R A Sosnowski
19th February 2003, 14:54
Prof. Karl Friday in Legacies of the Sword mentions that the use of the term Dojo in association with "Budo" appeared in the mid- to late-Tokugawa era. However, it was not commonly adopted until the Meiji era (1868-1912), when Japan abandoned its feudal culture and entered the modern world.

HTH.

hyaku
19th February 2003, 23:56
We have lots of Karaoke Dojo

Hyakutake Colin

R A Sosnowski
20th February 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by hyaku
We have lots of Karaoke Dojo

I must admit that this is generating a number of very funny visuals in my head trying to reconcile Japanese formalities with the modern social phenomenon of Karaoke, which in practice, as I understand it, is accompanied with the consumption of large quantities of ethenol (ethyl alcohol). :laugh:

Thank you for posting that, Hyaku. :toast:

John Seavitt
23rd February 2003, 21:56
Originally posted by Hanna B
Is ... "dojo" specific for budo, or is it also used in other Japanese arts such as ... chado?

It is used within at least Urasenke chanoyu circles, though it was fairly interesting talking to local instructors about it. In fact, the only definitive 'yes' came from a senior instructor who recently relocated to Boston after teaching at the Urasenke headquarters in Kyoto. She recalls that it has been in common usage in the past, but that it is not used frequently in this context at the current time. She was pretty clear, regardless, that with tea as a 'way' of study it is a perfectly appropriate usage.

John Seavitt