PDA

View Full Version : Exercise programs for martial artists?

mikes
21st February 2003, 16:57
I lift weights and work a heavy bag, but I wonder if this is enough? Has anyone tried the various protein powders? Are these only good for body builders or do they provide any actual benefit in strength training?

I'm not interested in 'bulking up' just strength... It seems like most of the stuff on the net is either for body-building or powerlifting. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

thanks,

21st February 2003, 17:31
Hi,
Protein powders are great. Especially if you are unable to get enough protein from your regular meals throughout the day. The general rule of thumb is to eat 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight. Personally I take MRP's (meal replacement poweders) in order to keep my protein intake up.

But before adding any supplements, I really recommend taking a good look at your current diet. Then add some multi-vitamins, omega-3 and omega-6 supplements. If you train a lot you may want to think about adding glutamine to your diet as well.

I currently use Multi-vitamins, Omega-3 capsules (fish oil), Flaxseed Oil (for Omega 6), Glutamine (in powder form for recovery) and ZMA (for recovery as well). I have also used Creatine with good success and gained a lot of strength in addition to increasing my anaerobic endurance.

For suggestions on exercises, take a look at the thread here. (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17242)

Hope this helps.
Steven