PDA

View Full Version : Good Training

Janin
23rd February 2003, 16:22
I have found that training with the right Attitude and spirit is much more benefecial to training than training alot and not with the right Attitude.

A person training like oh say 7 days a week with not the right attitude. Verses a person training 2 ta 3 times a week with the right attitude.

Oni
23rd February 2003, 16:37
While there is merit to this, it is also important to keep in mind that if you ever have to defend yourself you may or may not be in a good 'mental' place when it happens. Due to the fact most criminals seek out folks that appear to be 'victims' in some way...there is actually a good chance that you will NOT be in a good frame of mind before the attack happens. With this in mind I do think it is important to go to class even when you may be telling yourself "not today" at times.

The great thing is in my experience...those days that I have made it to training when I was perhaps not in the best of spirits...or preoccupied with something...by the middle of training my spirits had most often been lifted and left in a much better mood than when I arrived.

Just something to add to this though :)

Janin
23rd February 2003, 16:53
I agree with you totally Oni you should go even if your not feeling up to it.

Marc Renouf
24th February 2003, 20:26
Someone once told me that your budo doesn't improve on those days when you're eager and energetic and happy to be in the dojo. Your budo improves on those days when you're tired, worn-down, cranky, and the dojo is the last place you want to be - but you go anyway.

Shizen
25th February 2003, 02:10
I've been thinking about this phenomenon recently - mostly because I feel like I'm in a plateau phase in my learning curve. I think to get the most growth, one needs to be outside their comfort area, but not so far as to fall apart. A little bit of stress leads to improvements to deal with that stress, e.g. being sore after lifting weights leads to stronger muscles, but too much stress - like dropping the barbell on your head - is disasterous.

I told my sensei about my concerns that I wasn't feeling any improvement in training and I was having serious doubts about my ability. I felt like I was worse now than I was a couple years ago. He said that I was dis-integrating (i.e. falling apart). I didn't get any further explanation, and I figured it was because I trained too much, and the stress was beyond that out-of-the-comfort-zone area.
But still, I was told by a fellow student that periods of seemingly no growth and frustration are what leads to rapid growth, or 'break-throughs.' I hope so.

For Janin, train as often as you like, as often as you're able, but don't overdo it, even if you can maintain a good attitude during training. I think what you mean, though is that whenever you train, to do so with sincerity, to really pay attention, and not just go with the motions.

For Oni, so true. I have had that experience too, and like Mr. Renouf said, sometimes it helps to be a little pre-stressed before training. I think it helps feed the learning deeper into the subconscious, whereas a fresh mind will intellectualize things too much.

Interesting topic. I hope to see more on this.

:cool: