PDA

View Full Version : Even MORE on J-Tobacco

CKohalyk
25th February 2003, 00:13
Kids sickened by eating cigarettes, govt poll shows

Yomiuri Shinbun (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20030225wo21.htm)

More than 45 percent of accidents in which young children ingest daily household items involve infants eating cigarettes or cigarette butts, a Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry survey has revealed.

The ministry collected reports of 886 such accidents in 2001 from eight pediatric clinics selected from across the nation. Of these, 401 cases, or 45.3 percent, involved children eating cigarettes.

Infants aged between six and 17 months accounted for 91 percent of the cases involving cigarettes, according to the survey.

The second most commonly eaten items were medicines and medicated cosmetics, which were consumed in 122 cases, accounting for almost 14 percent of the total number of accidents. Although there were no reported fatalities from children accidentally eating cigarettes, the amount of nicotine in just one cigarette could prove fatal if consumed by a young child.

The ministry is calling on parents to be particularly alert to the danger of using empty cans as ashtrays, as many of the children who mistakenly ingested cigarettes did so by drinking from a can they thought contained a normal beverage.

[How about STOP SMOKING, for the health of your child and you!]

Exorcist_Fist
25th February 2003, 01:21
I stopped smoking for my son.

More correctly, after 6 years of smoking 5 years of not smoking, and a 6-9 month break of smoking in Japan--thanks to all the dickheaded co-workers who helped me start--, I stopped again when my son was born.