PDA

View Full Version : 911 - 02/24/03

kimq
25th February 2003, 15:29
It was a 911 call. Someone had been stabbed and needed help. Police dispatch sent a unit in the area to the address. I was in the car on a ride-along.

Untested Bujinkan practitioners talk about psychological centering, combative preparation, and all the mental trappings of what they preconceive a “warrior” is. No matter how much convincing one does of them selves anything is possible at crunch time. One may think they are ready, but they never know until the moment.

Although I thought I was ready, I truly did not know.

We arrived on the scene. The apartment building was less than desirable where Kevlar gloves were wise. It took precious time to get one of the occupants to answer the door buzzer, identify our selves, and enter the building. It was almost as if they didn’t care.

We were careful. We did not know if the attacker or the victim were still in the building. In many ways, we were walking into a potentially nightmarish situation. We continued on – someone’s life was on the line.

We arrived at the appropriate floor and approached the apartment. The door showed signs of force and was ajar. The officer identified us as police and ordered the occupants to leave. He did this numerous times.

It was at this moment that I fully realized what was happening. This wasn’t a game or movie. This wasn’t form training with dulled knife shapes. One mistake could have gotten either of us injured or killed.

A strange feeling I never previously imagined washed over me. I felt extraordinarily calm. I was aware, though my vision tunneled slightly. I thought it strange that I would be aware of my slightly diminished vision. My hearing heightened and I could pick out the sounds of occupants even several apartments down. I wasn’t afraid though, by all self-admitted rights, I should have been. It was almost as if a part of my brain released a previously unused chemical cocktail as a survival mechanism. I was aware, calm, and ready.

I had the benefit of the police officer, baton in hand, performing the initial sweep of each key area of the apartment. He communicated with me where to stand and which areas he deemed momentarily clear. With each step I was ready and willing to assist and maintained close proximity. He continued to loudly identify our selves and ordered those inside to come out of hiding. My state of calm readiness stayed with me.

Unfortunately, no one was present in the apartment. It was decorated and mistreated in a manner common to living conditions in inner city dwellings. It showed signs of abuse and old violence. Neither the victim nor the attacker was present in the building. No one in the building knew what we were about.

There was little we could do. A record check revealed that the victim’s last name was similar to that of a felon with a fondness for violent knifings. The officer revealed that if the felon was involved and they had attacked the victim, the victim was in a very bad situation wherever they were. We carefully searched the immediate area, but found nothing. I assume an investigation continues. It could have all been a hoax.

For years I have “prepared myself” for a situation similar to this, but more about self-defense or the defense of those I love. At this time I cannot say if my self-preparation truly helped me or what happened to me was a function of the natural human animal. Perhaps it was a combination of the two that allowed me to experience what I did. I do know I took a very valuable experience away with me that afternoon – one that could only come about at crunch time.

Oni
25th February 2003, 17:44
Thanks for sharing! This is something I have talked/thought about for years. Until you are actually thrust into such a situation all the talking, all the hypothetical what ifs, all your thoughts about what you can and can't do really mean very little. I know of tough talkers that have frozen like deer caught in the headlights...and pacifists that have been becoming raging tigers.

I do think that practicing some sort of martial art with INTENT can definitely better prepare you, but there are no absolutes. I remember a story my teacher in Tampa used to tell. There was a big karate tournament...the person that had won the match was receiving his award or whatever when someone in the audience walked up to him, told him he was going to knock him out, and BAM...did so. The karate practitioner did not even defend himself.

I am glad that you found yourself 'aware' and that nothing 'deadly' actually occured.

kimq
25th February 2003, 18:11
Originally posted by Oni
I know of tough talkers that have frozen like deer caught in the headlights...and pacifists that have been becoming raging tigers.

I've met a lot of raging pacifists - wait, that's not the same thing. ;) As stated, one thinks they know, but truly they do not until the moment.

I do think that practicing some sort of martial art with INTENT can definitely better prepare you, but there are no absolutes.

Hey! Intent is MY soapbox! Go get your own! :p

I wholeheartedly agree that intent is a key factor in one's training. I think too many people miss it in their training.

I am glad that you found yourself 'aware' and that nothing 'deadly' actually occured.

I too am glad I found myself aware. I have mixed feelings about the vacancy of the apartment.

Noodles
25th February 2003, 21:29
Thanks for sharing-that was very interesting.

paolo_italy
26th February 2003, 11:48
Great post, Kim...

IMHO, so often we tend to over-estimate this "principle": since we are taught in Bujinkan, then it's enough to be prepared for the world ouside the dojo. No bigger mistake possible...

The "way" (and in our system there are so many...) is the most important... We did a brain-storming last night (I'm a marketer, LOL) about what can put our lives in danger during our everyday life... We had to set the maximum limit to 100. The exercise, something like a zen's koan, was to understand if we are prepared to face each threat we are conscious of. Everyone should check if he/she's properly living and embodying the concept of ninpo, intended as the way of enduring and surviving.

From a practical perspective, the most important "secondary" focus (besides timing, distance, and every other principle derived from our traditions) we adopt in our training is to simulate the reality at the best, with many situational sessions, outdoors training, with unknown buyu and many, many other particulars. Nothing with respect to the "real" world, but more than the usual, standard "try-this-kata" session.

So much to add, I know.

Just my two cents...

Take care.