PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite ninpo videos?

The Tengu
27th February 2003, 15:32
Hey everyone, what are your favorite ninpo videos?

I know there are a lot of people that haven't bought many ninpo training videos and it's hard to know which ones are worth your money. Also, there are a lot of people who are new to ninpo and may need material better suited for their level of understanding.

For instance... is $200 a good deal for Mr. Van Donk's Ninjutsu Made Easy video package? How about $300 on Mr. Van Donk's Black Belt Course video course? Would that $300 be better spent on three Daikomyosai sets? You don't know unless you see them or get the info from someone who has seen them, right?

Also this is not Bujinkan-specific, even if my example above was.

So with that in mind... what are your:

Top 3 favorite Soke Videos?
Top 3 favorite Non-Soke Videos?
Top 3 favorite Seminar Videos?
Top 3 favorite Beginner-Level Videos?

You don't have to put 3 in each category because obviously not everyone has 12 ninpo videos in their library, although I know there are people with way more than that! ;)

Rokushakubo
27th February 2003, 15:57
Well from effectively a beginner's point of view, my favourite videos that I own are:

Kobudo no Kihon

Actually, that's the only one I have! But it's a good one.

Jason Chambers
27th February 2003, 17:51
Manaka Sensei's videos are excellent reference.... and to add to the above, all of Soke's Quest tapes are extremely well done and informative.

Tamdhu
27th February 2003, 21:00
Any and all Bujinkan Taikai videos. By far the juiciest.

jwills79
27th February 2003, 22:11
I like Kobudo no Kihon also. One of my favorites is the Gyokko Ryu video. Can you name all the Japanese shihan and blackbelts in the video? We should have a "Where are they now?" for our videos.

John Lindsey
27th February 2003, 23:16
The secret Takamatsu Sensei video that only a few have seen (the sword dance video).

jwills79
27th February 2003, 23:55
Now, you are just bragging. :cool:

John Lindsey
28th February 2003, 00:28
Nope, I have never seen it...

BigJon
28th February 2003, 02:10
Soke Hatsumi's hanbo/shikomizue video video is good...this thread is similiar to the 'what are you listening to right now?' thread. I go through phases where I watch certain videos more...

Jon Gillespie

icynorth
28th February 2003, 03:56
I really like the Kobudo no Kihon, and its pair up What is Martial Arts.
Actually I like the first 2 of the demo series there was a part 1 and a part 2. I have been looking for part 2 for about 7 years but the best cost is about 100USD.
So if you know where to get it lemme know!!

Jay Bell
28th February 2003, 04:57
My favorite would have to be...

The video of Jeff's Cleveland seminar that he did *last* February that I still haven't received!

:D

Sorry bro...I just had to

The Tengu
28th February 2003, 13:23
I really enjoyed Kobudo no Kihon and the What is Budo? tape as well, they're two of my favorites.

I think any of the Tai Kai videos will get you a lot of value for your money, since they're spontaneous and free-spirited, and there's a lot of Hatsumi on them. I haven't seen enough of the Daikomyosai tapes to know if the same holds true for them.

I like the Quest ryu-ha videos, they're great for reference but sometimes I'm just not in the mood to watch kata.

Bradenn
28th February 2003, 13:33
I don't know why, but the "What is Martial Arts?" video somehow has a very dark and eerie feeling to it.

Anyone else notice this?

Maybe because it emphasises the danger of real Budo and the fact that it is life-and-death and not a sport.

m harper
28th February 2003, 13:50
I really like Bud's CD ROM on Gyokko ryu. Also Ed Martin has 3 tapes out that are great. All of the Hatsumi tapes are excellent for research and flow, but the japanese ones are hard to follow with the translations.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

chikara
28th February 2003, 16:19
Originally posted by Bradenn
I don't know why, but the "What is Martial Arts?" video somehow has a very dark and eerie feeling to it.

Anyone else notice this?

Maybe because it emphasises the danger of real Budo and the fact that it is life-and-death and not a sport.

I just saw this captivating vid last weekend and I was very impressed with its production and slickness. All I had previously viewed were the "seminar" style tapes where you sometimes have audio problems, and camera angles are not always ideal. I got a kick out of the music track, very upbeat!

I did not notice the dark, eerie feeling, Bradenn. Rather, I got really excited and sat on the edge of my seat; I was so enthralled I had to replay the tape a few times. Soke's presence, while always awesome, was particularly mesmerizing in this vid. I felt as if I was getting "close" to him, or getting a better glimpse of the man. This is my pick for fav tape based entirely on feel and post-production, not necessarily on content.

chikara

BigJon
28th February 2003, 16:27
I was just going to ask opinions on "what is martial arts?" , It is going to be my next purchase regardless...

JON GILLESPIE

ChrisMoon
5th March 2003, 10:18
My favorite videos remains Hatsumi's videos that he did in the mid 80s.

The Ninja Art of Grandmaster Masaaki Hatsumi Vol 1 & 2.

I have watched them countless times.

Christopher Moon

BigJon
5th March 2003, 15:27
Chris are these available anymore?

Jon Gillespie

ChrisMoon
5th March 2003, 15:43
Hi

I wish, I just bought a second set for a friend off of Ebay for $230 dollars. I am sure they are around somewhere, it took me looking online for about a year. I wish Hatsumi would release them. I was just watching them again this morning.

BigJon
5th March 2003, 15:45
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a digital camera, so you could post what the cover of the tape lookls like?
Thanks,
Jon Gillespie

ChrisMoon
5th March 2003, 15:50
Hi Jon,

I can send you links to them from Ebay

Volume 1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2279&item=3311119814&rd=1

Volume 2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2279&item=3311119822&rd=1

Great Videos

BigJon
5th March 2003, 16:28
Thanks!

Jon Gillespie

Jason Chambers
5th March 2003, 18:14
The auction is over... :(

ChrisMoon
5th March 2003, 18:19
yes! I bought them. =)

Check back regularly, people are always selling things like that.

matthew18
5th March 2003, 23:31
hi

Has anyone seen footage of Takamatsu sensei?
Is it avalible today? if so what is the tape called? where do u get it from?

i would love to see takamatsu sensei in action:)

matthew morgan

The Tengu
5th March 2003, 23:42
Originally posted by matthew18
Has anyone seen footage of Takamatsu sensei?Yes. (Not by me, I wish...)

Originally posted by matthew18
Is it avalible today?Nope.

matthew18
5th March 2003, 23:48
hi

cheers greg, u put me on a downer now:(
well keep waiting for Hatsumi to release it again;)

mat

yama-nagare
6th March 2003, 19:09
The Shinden-Fudo Ryu Daikomyosai is a great set of videos! Also the Kenjutsu Daikomyosai!