PDA

View Full Version : Elbows

GreySilk
28th February 2003, 10:36
I was taught a techninque where, while you guard your head, you use you elbows to grind into your opponents thighs. This was to make him relax his leg hold on you and thus enable you to pass the guard.

Though this worked on my, being the little girly man that i am, on my class mates that actually had more muscle and stuff then me, it did nothing.

What other ways are there?

Phill

Budoka 34
28th February 2003, 12:24
Phil,

Being a "little girly man" to, I can tell you don't give up on the technique.
Instead try posting one elbow next to his "manparts" at the base of the leg and then on the opposite leg drive slowly with the other elbow just below his knee. By the time you hit his mid thigh he should loosen up. Then just shoot the arm through and throw the leg off.

Watch out for the triangle choke! I have one partner who loves to act like he's in great pain, then he shoots the triangle and crunches my head!:eek:

Hope it helps.

The Gracie guys I've rolled with have several variations on this theme. OUCH!:D

:smilejapa

Ed Beneville
3rd March 2003, 06:56
There are a lot of other ways. We cover some of them in the book. One very good way is involves wedging your knee into the opponent's tailbone while holding down the hips.

Do you know any from standing? Those are effective also.

Against beginners try standing and attacking with a thrusting type choke. When the opponent opens his feet to push you away, make sure they stay open.

Ed.

GreySilk
4th March 2003, 07:21
Yeah...my sensei taught me to stand up quickly and either use one hand to unluck the ankles or put pressure on the opponent.

Any tricks or tips to training by yourself?? Thats sorta of a contridiction...but when no one is interested and the schools too pricey.....options become limited.

Phill

Ed Beneville
5th March 2003, 07:18
GreySilk,

First off, and since this forum is premised on our book, check out the drills in the back of "Passing the Guard."

Other good stuff for training solo includes can be found on the "Ginastica Natural" tapes and Scott Shonnen's "Grappler's Toolbox," especially the first volume. I like the latter because it is in english, and Shonnen has some interesting information.

A lot of very good black belts are into the Ginastica Natural tapes. The routines involve a lot of animal movement type exercises.

Ed.