PDA

View Full Version : Iwaga Ryu, Kosogabe Ryu, Namba Shoshin Ryu

jodirren
4th March 2003, 08:39
Anybody know anything about these ryu (not sure if the spellings are exactly right, but that is how I have seen them most often)? According to the Danzan Ryu website, these are among the arts Okazaki (founder of Danzan Ryu) studied. However, I can gather no information about them (or even that they exist or have existed) except in references to Danzan Ryu where they all simply state that he studied them. Can anybody verify their existence or provide any info about them?

Much thanks in advance.

jd

jodirren
8th March 2003, 06:17
Originally posted by Yobina
Hello,
I could only find this one:- Nanba Shoshin Ryu (sometimes Namban Shoshin Ryu or just Shoshin Ryu) As has been said here before Namban refers to the Kansai region, so I would assume that it came from there. Associated with the Seigo Ryu? Died out at the end of the Edo period or beginning of the Meiji period.
Thanks for the help, Andrew. That's a start. Anybody know anything about the other two? What do "Iwaga" and "Kosogabe" mean? Are there alternative spellings which might explain why I cannot find any information on them?

jd

kobukai
10th March 2003, 17:58
Some of the styles named in Okazaki's scroll were (name of the instructor)-ryu. I think George Arrington, owner of www.danzan.com could help you with any translations.

NathanielG1
11th March 2003, 20:56
I believe that Kosogabe Ryu is related to Tagenouchi(might be spelled incorrectly) Ryu according to a book I've got at home. I'll get the title for you if your interested.

Nathaniel Gullion

jodirren
12th March 2003, 09:25
Originally posted by NathanielG1
I believe that Kosogabe Ryu is related to Tagenouchi(might be spelled incorrectly) Ryu according to a book I've got at home. I'll get the title for you if your interested.
You mean Takenouchi Ryu? Regardless, I would be interested as well.

jd