PDA

View Full Version : Kanji for Kyu Grades

joe dot ie
4th March 2003, 15:12
Hi all

Im hoping some one can help me

A friend has asked my to design some certs for his club, I'm almost there but to make them look special I was thinking of putting the Kanji for the persons Kyu level beside their name.

Unfortuantly I have no idea what they are, so....

Can any one help me with the Kanji for 8th - 1st Kyu?

Also

A while ago I asked for help regarding the Kanji for Hojo Jutsu and Shuriken Jutsu, one kind soul did post them up but I couldn't use them as I couldn't cut them from the page and know there gone. Anyone help?

As ever any effort is greatly appreciated

Joe Dunne

renfield_kuroda
4th March 2003, 23:54
The kanji for kyu = ‹‰
And for 1-8 the 'old' kanji in parens):
ˆê (ˆë?j
“ñ (“ó)
ŽO (ŽQ)
Žl
Ά
˜Z
Žµ
ӻ

Regards,
renfield kuroda

J. A. Crippen
22nd March 2003, 14:52
The 'old' kanji were used because the 'new' kanji (not in fact new at all) are easily modified by someone after the fact when written down. So certain substitute characters were used to ensure that nobody could easily add extra strokes to a three to make it a five, for example.

In any case, the kanji you're looking for are just the kanji used for numbers. You should be able to find them nearly anywhere on the web if you look, as well as in *any* kanji dictionary or first year text in Japanese or Chinese. If you need a 'zero' kyu then you can use a circle (not an ellipse), pronounced 'maru'. It works like a western zero, as a placeholder for tens as well as a zero value. See the publication date of any Japanese book for one example.

If you're going to use kanji in one place it'll look odd not to use kanji everywhere else. Get a decent kanji font and print them out, rather than getting the forms wrong. (I'm assuming you have no calligraphy training, otherwise you probably wouldn't be asking about the kanji like 'ichi', which has to be written at least a couple thousand times before it looks anywhere near decent except by accident.) Remember that there are a lot of people besides just martial artists who can read kanji, such as any educated Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or (occasionally) Vietnamese person. They'll be just as embarassed at seeing poorly written kanji as any westerner would be seeing childishly written Roman letters.