PDA

View Full Version : changing names

stormshadow
6th March 2003, 19:31
People have told me that the name, (in the Bujinkan),was changed to "Budo Taijutsu" rather than "Ninpo Taijutsu" or "Ninjutsu" because only 3 of the Ryu were ninja oriented and the other six were samurai arts. if this is the case, why start out calling it Ninpo in the first place? I have conflicting information stating that all but maybe 2 of the Ryu are ninja related. Does anybody have any insight on this?

steve schoen
6th March 2003, 19:39
I was under the impression that Hatsumi changed the name from ninpo taijutsu (ninjutsu) during the ninja boom in the 80's. He didn't want everyone to compare the art to Hollywood movies that were all over back then. Anyone else?

Rokushakubo
7th March 2003, 10:34
When I first started training in late 1994, it was still called Bujinkan Ninjutsu. It changed it's name to Budo Taijutsu in 1995, I think. I figured at the time it was a combination of the reputation the film industry had given us and that the Bujinkan was only 33% ninjutsu schools. Haven't heard anything else about it really. I mean, what's in a name?

DWeidman
7th March 2003, 19:53
Originally posted by Rokushakubo
When I first started training in late 1994, it was still called Bujinkan Ninjutsu. It changed it's name to Budo Taijutsu in 1995, I think. I figured at the time it was a combination of the reputation the film industry had given us and that the Bujinkan was only 33% ninjutsu schools. Haven't heard anything else about it really. I mean, what's in a name?

Well, nothing I suppose... until you are named Mr. Pink.

-Daniel Weidman