PDA

View Full Version : Power Rangers Ninja Storm

BC
6th March 2003, 20:02
Please note that I'm not trolling here (at least I don't think so!).

I have a three and a half year old son who has now become totally hooked on the new Disney show "Power Rangers Ninja Storm." I don't practice the ninpo or ninjutsu related arts. But I'm curious if any practitioners know of the show and whether there are any legitimate ninjutsu techniques demonstrated on the show, or whether it's all just more chop socky/TKD/kickboxing stuff. I think I know the answer :rolleyes: , but I'd be interested to see what other folks thoughts are.

Regards,

The Tengu
6th March 2003, 20:11
Originally posted by BC
Please note that I'm not trolling here (at least I don't think so!).

I have a three and a half year old son who has now become totally hooked on the new Disney show "Power Rangers Ninja Storm." I don't practice the ninpo or ninjutsu related arts. But I'm curious if any practitioners know of the show and whether there are any legitimate ninjutsu techniques demonstrated on the show, or whether it's all just more chop socky/TKD/kickboxing stuff. I think I know the answer :rolleyes: , but I'd be interested to see what other folks thoughts are.

Regards, It's all TKD-karate-chop-HIYAAAAAAA!!!! stuff.

But I kinda like the show! LOL

I have a two-year-old who absolutely loves it and I watch it with him. I think the actors are a big improvement over the previous versions of MMPR, too.

On another note, there's a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series on TV, and I enjoyed watching that with my son as well. Of course, the turtles still have the non-Japanese weaponry but I thought the animation was pretty good and so far I haven't seen any glaring errors. It's a cartoon, for crying out loud!

Oh yeah, the new TMNT is also all TKD-karate-chop-HIYAAAAAAA!!!! stuff. :p

kirigirisu
7th March 2003, 03:50
A few things on the latest iteration of Power Rangers (ugh):

1. The reason this particular version is not quite as bad as previous versions is that Village Roadshow (the good folks who brought you The Matrix and its two sequels The Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions (yay!!! :D )) have taken over from Saban. Having dealt with those (alleged) hacks at Saban on a few levels over the course of my career, I can say that this is definitely a good thing.

2. Unlike the previous iterations, this one is being shot it New Zealand. Thus you can do lots more with a lot less production costs-wise.

3. Ninpo/Taijutsu-wise, um, well, uh... NO. You're seeing a combination of chop socky/TKD/kickboxing stuff and a lot of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon type wire-work. They don't quite have it down yet but they're getting pretty good at it.

IMHO, Power Rangers Ninjer Storm scores higher than the American Ninja Trilogy, but slightly lower than You Only Live Twice (which would have been TOTALLY SWEET had Cubby Broccoli and company not dissed Soke during pre-production) as far as "accurate" portrayals of Ninpo are concerned.