PDA

View Full Version : training..fun or depressing?

yama-nagare
7th March 2003, 16:19
I was wondering...In your dojos do you stress a loose, fun, atmosphere or a serious Aikido like atmosphere? I have heard that Hatsumi says that you should always have a good time when you train, any comments on that please? My personal opinion is that a serious dojo tends to be a little bit more boring and egos begin to flare..I don't mean to insult anyone with that comment...:rolleyes:

Shizen
7th March 2003, 18:53
All the bujinkan dojo I have been to were very fun. I like it a lot. I know what you mean about the aikido classes. I take aikido as well as BBT, and there is a lot more stress placed on formalities and etiquette than there is on self-defense. I like the "less yappin' more slappin'" approach of the bujinkan.

Chiburi
8th March 2003, 13:05
Bujinkan is way more easy going than just about any other Japanese MA. I've heard a few times that when Bujinkan's people go to mixed MA seminars, they have their wrinkled Dogis' tops open, loosely hanging obis, rolled leaves, while ie. karatekas have clean, white, ironed dogis, equally long ends of obis' etc., all Bujinkan people know what I mean. We all also know the practical reasons for this.

Don't take me wrong, I'm in no way criticising the classical approach. In my Iai class people chaff about my habit of rolling leaves etc., though it's allowed in training (I know if I show up at graduations like that, I'd fail before I go in front of the jury ;) ). I still think it's better to keep the formal wear clean for seminars and graduations and use the old one during training (no commenting about that, please).

I find that these two approaches balance my MAs training. The relaxed environment is good for contact training, since in a more serious environment, sparring can easily turn into a clash of egos.
The strict, formal (=traditional) training helps keep the right spirit alive, so to say. It also helps to improve concentration, and I've noticed that especially during weapons training, the more serious Iai attitude takes over, and less accidents happen.

There are days when I might prefer the relaxed approach to the traditional, but that's when I know I need to strengthen my spirit. There's the balance.

Cheers,

caleqs
18th March 2003, 19:39
I train with Mr. Ralph and classes are almost always mostly fun. We work so much on "softening" our techniques that I would think a hyper-formal atmosphere would be counter to that end. There is great interaction amongst students and between students and teacher. Mr. Ralph has fun, so we all have fun.

That doesn't mean there's no deference between Jr. students and Sr. students or toward Mr. Ralph. Our fun, in my opinion, is governed first by respect and consideration. Everything else flows from that.

So I would say we're quite relaxed. I don't think I'd enjoy working in the office all day and then spending two nights a week in a formal setting. I get enough of that at work. I want something relaxing and fun at the end of the day. For me, two nights a week (or as I can manage), that's ninjutsu.

Rokushakubo
19th March 2003, 08:46
Yup, we're very informal in our group and always have a good time (even when loads of pain is being applied - but that's usually to James anyway - pain is fun when it's being applied to someone else!!! :D ).

I can't really remember how formal or informal my jujutsu training was - it was while I was at school, some 10-12 years ago. I think it was pretty formal.

I did go to one Aikido class while I was in Cardiff University and that was formal. Didn't go again because I didn't like the atmosphere. It's important to enjoy your training, otherwise, what's the point on going?

bukweetz
20th March 2003, 15:13
Hi All,

I think that training should always be fun, and enjoyable. We should
relish the opportunity to be together and learn from each other.
I am sure that i am not the only one who smiles or laughs when a technique is done well. To me it's a sign of appreciation. Mind you some techniques are often met with oooooff as the technique goes on, and then a laugh following shortly after.

I have alos experienced the more formal side of training in other arts. It didn't do much for me, and i know i prefer the atmosphere of the Bujinkan.

Train with a happy heart and a love of budo!!

Cheers

iain phillips.

kimq
20th March 2003, 19:59
I think that "formal" does not necessarily mean "depressing."

The fun one gets while wearing a tuxedo at a wedding versus in jeans at a house party are certainly different, but one is no better than the other. The only way one becomes better than the other is when the participant is socially more comortable in one situation than the other.

On the mats I treat my instructor with formal respect and my fellow students with a more friendly respect. Off the mats I treat everyone, including my instructor, in a more casual way. I make it a point to act as formally respectfully as possible when it comes to sensei teaching, but this does not mean I cannot have fun. Even in serious classes I am known to laugh when exploring, but at the same time I have reverence for the severity of what is being taught.

Jokes are reserved for before class. Only senior students crack jokes during class, and usually when the overall atmosphere is very light. When a joke is made when sensei is teaching, they serve both as a tension breaker and as reinforcement to the points he is making.

Just because something is formal, doesn't mean it can't be fun.

ZanShin2003
26th March 2003, 17:07
Only senior students crack jokes during class

Jokes? US???!! NEVER!!... Of course their is odd release of gas for our Fu no kata... but I hardly think that's not serious. :D You should know us better than that Kim. ;)

Yoarashi Kode
13th April 2003, 05:41
I read from a site that a kendo sensei said
"If you are enjoying kendo training you are not doing it right"
So to enjoy training in kendo, you're not doing it correctly.

ShinobiKage
13th April 2003, 20:44
I can agree that the training should be enjoyable. Soke and many of the top shihan all over the world have stressed this point due the dangerously effective techniques in the 9 ryu. In our dojo, training is very serious but we always have fun. We start very formal, but after the bow in.....we tend to follow the "less yackin and more smackin" philosophy. After training is done, then we are formal again in terms of the bow out. If you don't enjoy the training and aren't having fun....well then why are you doing it in the first place. Well that's my thoughts at least. I mean no disrespect to anybody with that statement, so please don't take as such.