PDA

View Full Version : Hydroxycut

WJ55
7th March 2003, 20:29
Has anyone ever used the weight loss supplement Hydroxycut (http://www.hydroxycut.com/) ?

Any suggestions as to whether or not I should look into taking it?

tcasella
12th March 2003, 05:56
Disclaimer...make sure you talk to your doctor

I have used this and similar products with mixed results. Pay attention to the instructions and then experiment with the dosages tend towards less than more. The experience I have had with some of these supplements is that depending on your body composition they tend to "perscribe" too much and you could get sick.

DRINK WATER, DRINK WATER, DRINK WATER.....

Hope this helps and good luck

WJ55
14th March 2003, 05:48
Thank you for your reply, Tony. I will heed the advice, and look into it further. I'll definately make it a point to ask my doctor first.

Emily
14th March 2003, 11:21
Originally posted by WJ55
Thank you for your reply, Tony. I will heed the advice, and look into it further. I'll definately make it a point to ask my doctor first.

BE CAREFUL.
Ephedra stresses the system, and has been linked to many deaths.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/orioles/2003-02-17-bechler-questions_x.htm

Keep a food diary, make regular exercise dates, and learn to treat yourself without food.

mle

WJ55
15th March 2003, 05:02
Hi Emily,

I was planning on buying the Ephedra-free formula. Due to the overall controversy surrounding this ingredient, it seems that companies are beginning to make a more concerted effort to push Ephedra-free products in order for their products to retain their sale potential.

I'm definetly leaning towards the Ephedra-free, but still haven't decided as to whether or not I'm going to purchase this product yet.

P.S. Thank you for the article!

MarkF
15th March 2003, 10:15
As a friendly professional, I'd say "don't bother." While products are now going the "ephera free" route, I'd check for guarana/caffiene before using. If it is one of the supplements (which is more of a bulk anti-constipation substance more than anything else), drinking lots of fluids with it (and lots means lots) is a must. It can actually back up on you and cause choking. Be forewarned.

My advice is to cut up your three squares a day into about five small meals, eat much more slowly, and push yourself away from the table as soon as there is a hint of fullness. This probably works better and is definitely the safest route to take. Your body will lose some weight (it varies person to person) quickly, but your metabolism will probably slow that down after a short while.

I'm all for supplements. The average person rarely gets what he needs daily for good health in food, so I don't have a problem with that (and do so myself), but diet aids are an ever-increasing fad which is probably is the one thing which does go back farther than budo, not counting medicine. I am speaking of those which state weight loss help, not the average vitamin/mineral product. If you really want to do the same thing and keep your bowels moving at a normal level, take a psyllium seed product. It will do what the weight loss products claim and help keep your cholesterol under 1,000.

And make sure your fluid intake increases dramatically. Even psyllium and other fiber products can also cause choking if you don't. If you are newly married, make sure the spouse is comfortable enough for you to be farting all night in bed because these things do cause flatulence.

Your doctor will also tell you "don't waste your money" and then prescribe an amphetamine if you insist in losing weight. Even a bigger waste of money, but remember where you read it first, on the Internet.

Mark

Emily
15th March 2003, 15:26
Originally posted by WJ55
Hi Emily,

I was planning on buying the Ephedra-free formula.

Hey Walt,
maybe someone else has said this but there are lots of natural sources of caffeine.
Guarana, cola nut, coffee, tea, chocolate, etc.
Read and research your ingredients carefully.
Suphedrine, such as you find in Sudafed, is an effective appetite suppressant and is used in many OTC appetite suppressants. It can be dangerous if you have a weak heart, and you may not know if you do or not.

I liked the plant extract they came out with some years ago, it was some kind of mid-American plant, _cucurbita citrina_ called Citrimax, I think. Kept my tricky blood sugar pretty steady. My diabetic mother swears by a chromium supplement. You've got to experiment, just be careful. Google anything you want to try and ignore the "ad" sites.

www.quackwatch.com is a good link to check things out on.

Yeah, I've tried a lot of things. Now I just try not to eat too much, which is a real trick in Germany! :D

MLE

WJ55
16th March 2003, 04:48
Hello Emily and Mark,

Thank you for your replies. I'm beginning to think about just forgetting this supplement thing. I have been cutting calories, fat, saturated fat, and over-eating lately, and I feel fine.

Through some of the stuff I googled, I got the impression that hydroxycut (and other formulas like it)was a type of appetite suppressant that, while yielding noticeable effects in the early stages, begins to taper off as time goes by. This may be related to what Mark noted about your metabolism catching up to things, and slowing the process down.

I don't consider myself to be horribly overweight, and to the contrary am in my early 20's and still quite capable of turning around my eating habits. I don't even look that fat. Or at least that's what I tell myself!

Also, while ephedrine and other ingredients, when used properly, may serve positive health benefits, I don't think I'm that far down the road that I need to start using these things for something I can achieve naturally.

Out of all the things they say they can cram into these products, they can't put in the most important one- Discipline

Regardless, you are more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on my assumptions of this supplement, and to add any other info you feel may be of help.

I appreciate your time!

Kimpatsu
17th March 2003, 06:39
Folks, this is just a diuretic. Taking it will lead to peeing more and dehydration. The percentage of fat in your body will not be reduced. You will not actually be any fitter or healthier. It's a scam. Caveat emptor.

shinbushi
17th March 2003, 19:26
Originally posted by Emily

BE CAREFUL.
Ephedra stresses the system, and has been linked to many deaths.

Yeah by fat out of shape couch potaoes over dosing and relying only on it. Bodybuilders like my self, have been using the aspirin Ephedra and caffene stack for years with very little problems.

18th March 2003, 22:09
ECA (ephedrine, caffine, aspirin) stacks are definitely NOT recommended. There are other weightloss supplements out there though that are safer and work just as well such as Lean System 7 and EAS' Thermodynamix.

I would however suggest that you first look into your cardio/resistance training regimen as well as your diet.

Steven